Stupid Noob has a question

Zukidude1.3

When you say your are calling for 30 minutes, are you actually making noise thirty minutes straight no stopping, or is there a rhythm to it. I have gone out only a few times and been un-succesful, and I am laying out there feeling like an idiot cuz I have no clue how to call the [beeep] thing in. I know they are around, as I couldnt go ten feet without seeing tracks on the way in, but should I be making noise for 30 minutes or pausing. Obviously there is a "feel" for this stuf but ya gotta start somewhere. I am in oregon by the way. Hood river area.

Generally when people say they called for 30 minutes it means they were on a stand for 30 minutes. I use hand calls and I don't have the lungs to calls for 30 minutes haha. Your right there is a certain "feel" for things you need. Personally I call for about a minute or so and then pause for about 2-5 minutes, but again that all depends on the terrain, condition, and what you are calling. Good luck!

When I say I called for 15 minutes I mean that I spent 15 minutes calling. That time is spent calling for 10-20 seconds, then scanning the area, then calling for another 10-20 seconds, and so on for 15 minutes. The time I spend scanning the area is anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes depending on the terrain.

I spend a couple of minutes just sitting after my last series of calling. Then I bino the area really well one last time before I get up.

There's no such thing as a stupid noob. We were all there once. All the pieces will come together for you eventually.

Nate

Good question NOOB.

I am fairly new to calling yotes after being a hunter for over 35 years. I don't have the lungs or ear drums to call constantly, so with mouth calls I had some success doing what the above posters do. Calling for a bit and looking for a bit.

This year, I got a FX-3 foxpro and thought I would try it and I know e-bay sells these for nearly retail, so I figured if I don't like it I can always re-sell. Well...........I have been keeping track of animals called on the foxpro this year. I would suspect that I have not seen all that have been called but here is my tally:

10 stands
8 yotes called in---one double and the rest singles
4 shot at and 2 killed (missed a couple)and some were close but didn't offer a clear shot.

I have had them come in fast and slow.

Anyway, I seem to call more frequently with the foxpro since it doesn't make me light headed from all that blowing! ha.

Enjoying the foxpro.

Lyle

Back