Deer in Distress?

Cabin Fever

I seldom hear of guys using deer in distress to call in coyotes. Does anyone use this call? I was planning on getting a few different ones loaded, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should, since I never hear of anyone using them? Unless they do, but just don't have any luck with them?

I would think that a deer in distress would bring in a pack of hungry coyotes? Lots of meat/meals compared to a scrawny bird, mouse, or rabbit!

I've had some success w/fawn distress. I'm really looking forward to trying it this spring with my new fawn decoy. It also works well for calling does. I called one in for a friend who had a doe tag last year. He actually got buck (doe?) fever and almost missed her.

Ive had it work in central Oregon when they would not respond to the rabbit sounds. I think deer might be bidder part of their diet there.

If you are not hearing of anybody using this sound in your area, you definitly need to be using it! I have had great luck with fawn distress over the adult. I believe it is because the fawn is a higher pitch.

the first coyote i ever called in and killed was with a fawn in distress call. i called in two, but did not see the second one until after i had shot the first one and jumped up instantly to retrive my trophy, greenhorn mistake. this call also drives the crows and ravens wild even in the dead of winter.

I tried the fawn distress out this spring. Called in several Does. One came in from behind me and almost stepped on me before she realized what was going on. Later at a different set using the FoxPro I had one run into the middle of a 2 acre clearing and stand directly over the caller. Looking around trying to figure out where the sound had come from. Didn't see any yotes while using it but it was not a good enough test over only 2 days to take it off the caller.

B

i do a deer in distress on a grunt tube allot especially from february threw march when coyote will hunt deer hard.
the old wooden sceery grunt tube that comes in a pack with a fawn and a deer blowing call is the one i have found that makes the best grown deer distress.
i think it sounds waaay better then any recorded deer in distress.
killed a lot of coyotes doing it.
i like making a fawn in distress on a hydel gh cottontail it fools the deer and the coyotes.

Does fawn or adult deer distress ever work on foxes? I don't use those sounds often because I'm afraid it will exclude foxes. Maybe I should start using it for coyotes because not many other people seem to use it.

I am new to calling coyotes but have always called in ALOT of yotes during Aug, Sept.and Oct.here in MS while calling in does with the bleat.

Originally Posted By: Cabin FeverI seldom hear of guys using deer in distress to call in coyotes. Does anyone use this call? I was planning on getting a few different ones loaded, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should, since I never hear of anyone using them? Unless they do, but just don't have any luck with them?

I would think that a deer in distress would bring in a pack of hungry coyotes? Lots of meat/meals compared to a scrawny bird, mouse, or rabbit!

Razorsedge , a calling buddy of mine and member of this site has called them in with deer distress . sure it works well . This year at work I've watched coyotes taking down fawns on four different occassions. the one thing I could say is you would be hard pressed to call too loud on a fawn call

Back