one set wonder

cmiddleton

i made it out tonight in time for one set.
tongue.gif

i started with a lone howl with no answers
bored.gif

then after about 3 minutes i started singing the jack rabbit serenaide with my favorite open reed the tally ho.
whistle.gif

at about 5 minutes in i saw something sitting out at 300 yards.
drool.gif

my glasses are so scratched up i couldn't tell if it was a coyote or a stump.
confused.gif

i took off my glasses and focused my bino's.
cool.gif

it was a large bobcat it would look at me then look to the right.
tongue_smilie.gif

i don't have a fur bearers license and was packing a 270 so i wasn't going to shoot it.
cry.gif

i kept calling but it stayed put.
blink.gif

i then heard a challenge howl off to the right so i challenged back exactly like the coyote howled to me.
ohmy.gif
unsure.gif

i paused fora couple minutes thinking the coyote would be there any time.
when i didn't see it i started calling at the cat again thinking this is cool even if i can't shoot it.
blush.gif

i thought maybe it would come closer with a busier sound so i pulled out kerry carvers cotton tail and called at a lower volume and busy.
w00t.gif

one minute of that and the cat started to look right constant.
angry.gif

out came the coyote at 250 yards.
tt1.gif

i had to adjust the rifle and honker down to aim up the hill.
crazy.gif

the coyote saw my movement and stopped. fatal mistake.
scared.gif

the 270 took him off his feet and he jumped back up but only got 10 yards before he was done.
closedeyes.gif

that is 9 for 9 coyotes that came to the call that i have seen that got dead one my cousin shot i shot 8.
thumbup1.gif

when Richie and i went out one started coming that Richie saw but never showed up. i never saw it
one bobcat and no tag bummer.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

one bobcat and one coyote in one set, i wonder why i wasn't out all day.
blushing.gif

i did get new glasses ordered today guess i know what i'm getting for Christmas.
thumbup.gif

i'm liking the 270 on coyotes but what i'd have gave for a fur bearers and my 243 today.
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

Last edited:
Thats darn cool with both a cat & dog coming around to your singing.
Im also glad to hear you have a new set of glasses you can actually see through being made.
My luck yesterday was....just a porcupine that I have sitting in my yard to skin.
It was so windy up there, about 25-30 most of the time, but I stayed till noon making about 8 stands total. To many dead cows that they have been eating on at night I guess so why come to a rabbit call when they have steak....
laugh.gif

That's awesome Casey.
thumbup1.gif

Too bad about not having a tag for the bobcat.
cry.gif

Good work on the coyote though.
thumbup.gif

I really enjoyed your story.
grin.gif

The smileys were awesome.
tt1.gif

Nine for nine is great too. I wish I could get numbers like that.
drool.gif

Nate
lol.gif

i wish i had 8 coyotes in 12 stands i have 9 coyotes and one bob kitty in 28 stands. you have a 1.5 average i have a 2.8 average
the 270 hasn't missed a called coyote yet but when i got home tonight i set it against the wall and it fell over right on the scope AGAIN. guess i'll see how well the scope holds sight.{thats twice I've done that in a week}
going out with rocket man tomorrow I'm going to teach him sounds. so we will be throwing the kitchen sink at them.
i plan on showing him my rendition of
jack
cotton tail
bird
howling
fawn
rodent
pup in a dress (i mean distress)
with mouth calls then have him try to do it on the way to the next stand.

Good luck tomorrow. Rocket Man is lucky to have you to take him out. I'll never forget the guy that had the patience to pass down some knowledge to me. That's what makes this sport great.

Nate

guess i should clarify that a coyote that hangs up out at 450 yards isn't called in to me.
i should say "shot at on stand" I'm 9 for 9.
i had a day that four never came in range and one later the same day that never did either then one with richie i never saw.
if those were counted I'd be at 15 in 28 or 1.8666667
i'll stick with the in range ones

i'm refinishing the stock on my 243.
my other choice is a 300 win mag
i also want to get comfortable with the 270 i still haven't shot 2 full boxes of ammo threw it.
gotta play with the new toy.
last weekend the 270 shot a pool ball hole while mikes 223 shot a softball hole in the two coyotes.
shot one up one side while it was running away though a couple weeks back that wasn't pretty.
also if i run into a cow elk i could fill that dang elk tag.
i'm liking the 270 i missed two runners that i jumped walking but its killed every coyote its shot at sense.
furs are not worth anything anyhow 10 bucks aint worth skinning them for.

i blew my average out of the water yesterday
cry.gif

6 stands no coyotes
cry.gif

and i missed a elks neck at 120 yards
confused.gif
confused.gif

even worse i froze and cracked the finish on my favorite custom call, i think the antler swelled when it froze solid.
the finish on the wooden part is fine its just on the antler part.

Back