Forest hunting

IdahoGobbler

Iam getting a little tired of driving 200 miles to the deserts and beeing raised in the deserts I tried doing some calling up in the mountains and i was going nuts only beeing able to see 20-100 yards and it beeing SO steep so any mountain hunters here in idaho washington oregon montana? what tactics to you use?

colton

Originally Posted By: soggydogLook for sign and listen for howls. They don't seem to be everywhere in the montains and forest.

I agree.

also i call quiter in the forest your not trying to cover vast expances like on the open country.
get where you know they are and call trying to not echo is what i do.
i've had good luck with woodpecker at lower volume
keep a eye out for cats

I can relate to what you are saying. It seems the forest coyotes don't like to come into the open if they can help it. I've called them in the open when I've been bow hunting and spotted them out mousing, but when I set up with the rifle along an opening they hangup back in the thick stuff. The problem with setting up in the thick stuff is limited visibility. They can circle down wind of you without you knowing it. I plan to sart using the shotgun and a decoy to try to get them to commit in the thicker stuff. I suppose an ecaller would help but I prefer hand calls for now. Maybe in the future I will change my mind but for now I will stick to the hand calls.

Its just a fact the distances are much closer in the mountains, you'll get used to it. I do most of my calling where the power lines cut through the forest you have to watch close cause they can show up anywhere but that gives you as good a shooting lane as you are likely to get in the trees. Old logging roads where the clearcuts and slash piles are is another good place. Again, close range. They seem to be a little more cautious in the forest, at least that has been my experience. Good Hunting!

Back