bad elk hunting makes good calling

cmiddleton

went out today to try to fill that dang elk tag.
yesterday i saw a cow elk but by the time i got out of the truck and across the fence it took off i didn't shoot cuz a bad hit elk can go a long ways.
this morning we went and looked for elk but when they were not out in the flats we started coyote calling.
the first set started out in a hard snow we were fighting to keep the bino's and scopes clear of snow.
i was blowing a jack rabbit maybe 5 minutes when i spotted the big blond female coming fast left to right at 150 yards.
i told mike "right there" and we both drew a bead on her.
she stopped broadside and i touched off.
i saw her bang flop then not even a wiggle.
on the way out to her sorefeet said he was just tightening the trigger when the coyote disappear out of the scope.
she was a BIG female
casey_coyote_2.jpg

the next stand was dry
the third stand i played the jack again on my tally ho and at about 7 minutes i had some howling at me.
i howled back with what i call a muster call then went back to the rabbit.
i paused quite a while when mike spotted one standing on the skyline 4 or 5 hundred yards out.
i blew the jack at her and the race was on she covered that distance in seconds.
i told mike "right there"
he got on her and shot at 80 yards hitting her head on with the 223.
she banked and after 30 yards she stopped
mike popped her again she leaped straight up and landed hard.
mike_coyote.jpg

when the fog lifted and the snow stopped we had no more takers
once we could see clearly threw the scopes and binos we ran out of things to look at.
i knew the area we moved into gets called hard by every body but i thought i could pull one in anyway
on our last set we ran into Jeramey from here. nice to see another PM member out having fun.
as roger raglan would say "i had a pretty good day"

Good hunting CM. Maybe next time you will get your elk.

My hunting partner, who needs to 'get one' picked up a brand new Marlin .243. Nice gun!!! Been sighting it in. Looks like we will take a crack at them on Wednesday as he saw two yesterday afternoon just checking different places. One of my neighbors said he had one standing next to his mail box in front of the home place a couple of days ago - checking his dog out.. We will have to check that out as well.

Good luck on that elk!!

my wife and son and partner at work want me to get the elk worse than me. cows are not as thrilling as a bull coming to a call.
coyotes are coming to a call so i'd rather be calling them now.
the 270 i shot the female with did less fur damage then mikes with the 223.
270 left a hole the size of a pool ball
the 223 ripped a whole larger then a soft ball. took leg bones out the far side. the frontal shot was good it didn't exit. shot 2 wasn't really nessasary
it was fun i can't wait to not get a elk next weekend ha ha

Nice pair of dogs, gotta admit Im pretty jealous that you can say "elk huntin didnt go our way so we bagged some coyotes. No big deal.." Good work!

Back