DPMS AR-15 Rifles and Accessories

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1451421 - 12/21/09 09:08 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: MnYoteRookie]
Shynloco Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Apple Valley, CA
Interesting the method you use. As for myself, I have Harris Bipods on most of my bolt guns. Something I do a little differently is once I get set with a good sight picture and comfortable cheekset, I PULL BACK slightly to lock the legs and make sure there isn't any forward movement that might occur once the round is discharged. I actually get my best grouping off my Bipods, but then I've been shooting that way for more than 25 years. Over the years I've also gone to the shorter Bipods for better stabilty, although some of my tightest groups have come from my .308 that I bought and had worked back in 1983. This may sound odd to some, but shooting off sandbags has never given me the results Bipods have, no matter whether I shoot off a bench or from the prone position. Guess its just a personal taste thing again.

#1451799 - 12/21/09 03:47 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: Shynloco]
NdIndy Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: cheyenne wy
I go the other way and lean into the rifle, as long as the bipod normally swings forward to fold. Locks everything in place and takes out some play.

#1451931 - 12/21/09 06:03 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: NdIndy]
Shynloco Offline
Die Hard Member II

Let me clarify exactly what I do. I pull back on the rifle to lock the bipod legs and lean forward with my body to make sure there is less of a chance of movement when discharging the weapon. To be clear, I DO NOT lean backward.

#1452332 - 12/21/09 09:40 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: Shynloco]
Pack_Wolf Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: N. Central Colorado
I have had what I percieve to be accuracy problems with bipods.
I have taken them all off for reasons like extra weight and brush hang up.
When I had them mounted, The poi changed.
I have lost coyotes because of them, so I don't use them.

#1452427 - 12/21/09 10:45 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: Shynloco]
MnYoteRookie Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: West Metro, MinneSNOWta
Originally Posted By: Shynloco
Interesting the method you use. As for myself, I have Harris Bipods on most of my bolt guns. Something I do a little differently is once I get set with a good sight picture and comfortable cheekset, I PULL BACK slightly to lock the legs and make sure there isn't any forward movement that might occur once the round is discharged.

Hmmmm..... Do you have your bipod mounted with legs pointing forward when not deployed? All mine are legs forward when not deployed but I've seen them mounted both ways. I push forward to preload the legs when they are resting against the stops in the deployed position. Seems that by pulling back, you'd be inducing more movement due to the swing of the legs themselves... Not doubting your results, just never heard of that before. I'll have to try your method sometime and see what happens.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. (Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791)

#1456527 - 12/25/09 02:38 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: peterjc]
dds Offline
Predator Master

Loc: utah
I Have Been Shooting With a Bypod For Three Years and I Notticed a Differant POI Here Is What I Do and The Problem Went away , I Put a Pad Or a Pice Of Old Carpet Under The Leggs and It took Care Of It Hope It Helps You It Did Me DD

#1456685 - 12/25/09 10:23 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: MnYoteRookie]
Shynloco Offline
Die Hard Member II

Sorry for the late response, but just saw you post. And yes my bipods are mounted on all my rifles so they fold forward, not back. (It never occurred to me that someone might mount a bipod with the leg folding backward.) Hence the slight back and down pull on the forend to keep them locked and reduce jump during recoil off a carpeted bench surface.

#1456772 - 12/25/09 11:35 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: Shynloco]
duck911 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Loveland, Colorado
My AR-15 (RRA A4) doesn't seem to care whether or not I am shooting with a bipod or off bags - it shoots to the same spot everytime. Ditto my .22-250. The AR-15 has a floated hand guard but the CZ is not free floated, so go figure.

I feel like the crosshairs are more stable downrange with a bi-pod than with bags and I do feel like I get better groups, though that may have as much to do with my crappy front and/or poor technique rest as anything else. I do think it eliminates canting issues from my groups, which are a technique issue.

I also slightly pull back on my rifle to load the legs, BTW

#1457034 - 12/25/09 03:41 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: duck911]
Tevya Offline

Loc: Ballwin, MO.
This product could eliminate all your bipod problems. Just put
a terry cloth bath towel under them on a smooth level bench and
see what happens to your POI. Just like shooting a BR rifle off
a front rest and rear bag. I use the rubber cups to protect the
the smooth bottoms of the Paws when not in use. Or you can use
them to pre-stress the legs when you lean into them. The rubber
cups will grab better due to their larger surface area.

Go To;

ZEPHYRDYNAMICS.COM

Edited by Tevya (12/25/09 04:30 PM)

#1459383 - 12/27/09 04:40 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: duck911]
dozernomore Offline
Predator Master

Loc: southwestern ontario canada
Originally Posted By: duck911
My AR-15 (RRA A4) doesn't seem to care whether or not I am shooting with a bipod or off bags - it shoots to the same spot everytime. Ditto my .22-250. The AR-15 has a floated hand guard but the CZ is not free floated, so go figure.

I feel like the crosshairs are more stable downrange with a bi-pod than with bags and I do feel like I get better groups, though that may have as much to do with my crappy front and/or poor technique rest as anything else. I do think it eliminates canting issues from my groups, which are a technique issue.

I also slightly pull back on my rifle to load the legs, BTW

I have been following this post since it was started,,,and it was really starting to freak me out,,been misssing a few coyotes,,,,with my rem sps varmint heavy barrel 243 win,,,did my load development on a harris bipod,,and was shooting consistent sub moa with h4895 and nossler 70 grain,,and after following this post,,thought maybe this would explaining why I was missing the odd yote,,so today I went to the range and shot with bag's under my forestock grip instead of the bipods to see this difference of P.O.I.,that a lot of folks are talking about,,,,and I found no difference in P.O.I. between harris bipod or bag's CONCLUSION,,it's my fault I'm missing some yote's,,LOL
and I agree with duck911,that if anything my groups are just a lot tighter because of stability of bipods

#1459508 - 12/27/09 06:24 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: dozernomore]
NdIndy Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: cheyenne wy
Not every rifle will see the same difference, that's why there's no rule just suggestions wink And the big suggestion is to try your rifle and see what it does. But if you sight in with a bipod and shoot off a bipod, you shouldn't see any difference. Sight what you shoot.

#1460009 - 12/27/09 11:04 PM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: NdIndy]
sac4 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: wa
After reading this thread I was wondering if it made a diferance for me. I went to the range today and tryed with bipod and with bags and they both shoot the same. I shot 2 rounds of the bag and 3 with the bipod and I ended up with a nice tight 5 shot group. No my rifles are all free floated so that might make a diferance.

Edited by sac4 (12/28/09 01:04 AM)

#1460081 - 12/28/09 12:13 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: sac4]
Blackburn Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Indiana County,PA
I was also interested to see if my predator calling/varmint rifle, typically shot off a bipod would change POI when fired off bags. Long story short my Sendero 22-250 doesn't care what it's shot off of. At 100 yds it's 1.5" high dead center off of any rest configuration I tried.

#1460103 - 12/28/09 12:35 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: Blackburn]
Brasshound Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Montana
Shooting small groups is about removing, or controlling variables.

#1460414 - 12/28/09 11:59 AM Re: Bipods and POI [Re: Brasshound]
Blackburn Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Indiana County,PA
Originally Posted By: Brasshound
Shooting small groups is about removing, or controlling variables.

I understand quite well that consistancy and accuracy go hand in hand, I was curious if the rifle which I normally shoot from a bipod would change POI if I fired it offhand or sandbags. I shot the same target at 100yds from bipod then off sandbags front and rear supported then supported front only, I finally fired it with my elbow on the bench as the only means of support. The group was under 1.25" total with no tendency for POI drift. Is it the smallest group I've ever fired with that rifle? Not even close but it was well under an inch before I fired with only my elbow for support and it proved to me that if I miss with that rifle, I missed and not at fault of the rifle.

I think occasionally introducing variables to practice may help your shooting.

Edited by Blackburn (12/29/09 12:52 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jack Roberts, OldTurtle, venatic 

Forum Stats
48513 Members
83 Forums
288980 Topics
2732360 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
Bassfisher, GaryB, gregconrad, Ice Man, night rider, platapus, Troy Walker

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.