Today I got my first triple with a rifle! Pictures

derbyacresbob

I started calling this morning at first light. It was a tough day. The clouds made it foggy where I wanted to take pictures of bobcats or coyotes coming into the caller. Above the clouds it was too windy.
At about 2:00 pm I headed down to some lower country to get under the clouds and do a few more stands on my way back home.

I had been using my shotgun in the higher country but I decided to use my rifle and use some coyote sounds in the wide open lower country.
I started out using Female Coyote Howls on full volume out of my Prairie Blaster and SP-55 speaker. I played the Female Coyote Howls for about a minutes then muted the Prairie Blaster.

Right after muting my caller I heard one coyote doing a challenge howl way out straight in front of me. Then a few seconds later a group of coyotes went crazy making a bunch of noise off to my right.
I switched to Male Coyote Challenge 4 and the coyote straight out in front was answering back with the same Challenge sound.
The group that was a little to my right were at least a mile away and they went silent.
I was laying prone with my 243 on a hill, about 40 yards above my Prairie Blaster.
The single coyote straight out in front of me sounded like it was getting farther away and finally after about 30 minutes he went silent.

Just as I was starting to get up and quit the stand a coyote challenge barked to my right and it was MUCH CLOSER.
I moved my rifle to the right and saw three coyotes at about 700 yards away. They were walking away from me a a very slow pace.
In the next 10 minutes I tried about 5 or 6 different coyote sounds while I was watching these coyotes through my scope.
One of the coyotes walked over a hill about a 1000 yards away and two coyotes just sat down and challenge barked and howled towards me.

I could see them raise their heads and howl through my scope and it took right at three seconds for the sound to get to me.
I looked at my remote and saw the new Coyote Pup Distress 3 sound that I just got from Foxpro, so I thought I would give it a try.
I selected the Coyote Pup Distress 3 sound with the caller muted and got the coyotes in my scope so I could see them.
I was looking right at the two coyotes that were challenge barking when I started the Pup Distress sound.

About three seconds after the Pup Distress sound started they jumped up and started hauling a$$ straight for me.
It was overcast so I couldn't see real good, I didn't even try to follow them through the scope. I got my 243 pointed down closer to the Prairie Blaster and was watching with just my eyes for some movement.
When I did see the movement it was at about 200 yards and there was four coyotes hauling a$$ for my Prairie Blaster. I don't know where the other two coyotes came from.

When the lead coyote got about 80 yards out I muted the caller and the rear coyote stopped, so I got on him and shot him.
I looked up over my scope and saw one coyote hauling out over a small rise to my left. I hit my #1 preset "Coyote Pup Screams" and that coyote stopped so I shot him.
I raised my head up looking for more coyotes and didn't see any, but I could here one right below me.

A bigger male coyote was screaming a challenge at my Prairie Blaster and he was headed for the Prairie Blaster. The Prairie Blaster was still playing Coyote Pup Screams on full volume. This male coyote was really pi$$ed off and was going nuts when he stopped about 30 yards from my caller.
So I nailed him.
It blew me away that I had just killed two coyotes within 5 to 7 seconds of each other and the big male kept on coming.
I Killed three coyotes in less than 15 seconds so I was a little bit excited.LOL
IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6935.jpg

It was really cool to be watching those coyotes through my scope and get to see them react to that new Foxpro "Coyote Pup Distress 3" sound.
My Prairie Blaster and SP-55 Speaker are sitting in these pictures, where they were and how they were when they called in the coyotes.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
NICELY DONE, that is one heck of a story. I would be willing to say H.O.M.
Nice to see that you took your gun instead of your just camera this time.

I might have to try that pup in distress. I am going out in the morning.

That sounds like some serious excitement Bob! Great shooting, as well. The fur looks great on them to boot.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Nice job! That praire blaster is huge. I'd heard that they were bigger than the fx line. It looks like hailf the size of those dogs. How much does it weigh?

Originally Posted By: platapusNice job! That praire blaster is huge. I'd heard that they were bigger than the fx line. It looks like hailf the size of those dogs. How much does it weigh?

+1 That PB is Huge!!!! Man it must be one heck of a system with the 55 in addition to the PB.

Congratulations!!!!

Cool hunt! My best was 3 on one stand. 2 came in together, killed them, the third came in 10-5 minutes later from opposite direction, shot her also. No other takers. The first 2 were a large female and a young male, shot her first, took him after he ran, stopped him with a kiyi from my call. Third one was an old, small female. Took her in the front of chest figured she would have a perfect hide. Nope, an old airplane wound was still full of yuck on exit side.

Way to keep your cool on that kind of action. I get such a rush from one that I miss half the time. Three yotes on one stand would of made me stroke out!

Bob, That's a great story and pics....If I were ever to get three showing up at one time and then get to shoot all three, I'd have to change my pants from the excitement... Way to go..

Hey Bob,

Looks like everything I taught you finally paid off. You know, if you keep this up you might be a really good predator hunter!!! (Yeah sure, Bob is THE MAN when it comes to California Coyotes!)

Great going Bob. Good story too!

Rustydog

Back