Hunting with a group

Crabo

There are 3 of us who have been doing some shooting together. We want to do some coyote hunting together. I have never hunted with more than two.

Any recommendations on how to do it? I was thinking about sending one guy about 100 yards away and looking over a different approach area, with the other two covering different areas.

Or should we try to sit fairly close together to try to control the scent a little better?

Thanks,

Crabo

Not sure...Maybe 2 facing the caller and 1 facing away from it watching the back door. heck the one watching the backdoor may actually end up getting more shots than the others because that is the way they prefer to come in.

I hunted a few times with 4 of us and I was new to coyote hunting and here is how they done it. They took 5 live chickens and put all of us in a line in the woods with the lights off we all had a light, next we sat quietly and the chickens were out on a stake with nylon rope on there feet tied and the chickens were only around 15 feet from us in a line and we faced the chickens and when a predator came in the chickens would start clucking very excited and you can here coyote walking on the leaves and when they were close to us we would turn on the lights and start shooting. The first night we got 3 at just one time, but it is a waiting game and it took over an hour. We used shotguns with #4 buck and it was a fun way of hunting a little different than calling them in because they had live food and found them pretty easy. Not sure of your laws where you hunt but here baitings is legal.

I have hunted several times with 3 and 4 people during varmit hunts, from trial and error we found it more productive to sit fairly close together with everyone facing a different area. We always tried to set up with some sort of backdrop because with that many people it's harder not to stick out like a sore thumb. We've been very successful doing this, good luck to you.

Originally Posted By: howlingI hunted a few times with 4 of us and I was new to coyote hunting and here is how they done it. They took 5 live chickens and put all of us in a line in the woods with the lights off we all had a light, next we sat quietly and the chickens were out on a stake with nylon rope on there feet tied and the chickens were only around 15 feet from us in a line and we faced the chickens and when a predator came in the chickens would start clucking very excited and you can here coyote walking on the leaves and when they were close to us we would turn on the lights and start shooting. The first night we got 3 at just one time, but it is a waiting game and it took over an hour. We used shotguns with #4 buck and it was a fun way of hunting a little different than calling them in because they had live food and found them pretty easy. Not sure of your laws where you hunt but here baitings is legal.

OK, NOW I've heard it all.

We have a lot of pigeons out here in vegas wonder if they would work.LOL I hunted with three people we sat together just looking a different way. Worked fine

When we have 3 we put one on the call one about 50 to 60yrds from them and the last watches behind us. We have had great luck this year with this system. We have had 13 stands taken 12 coyotes, 1 fox and didn't get a shot at the one one bobcat that came in. If you sit together you can't see as much country and if one comes in and busts you, you might not even know if your all close together. It's just an opinion but I think you should spread out.

when hunting with group bigger than 2 it seems to work better for us to sit closer together. depending on land we usually have 2 prone and i call or run caller sitting up.

Originally Posted By: howlingI hunted a few times with 4 of us and I was new to coyote hunting and here is how they done it. They took 5 live chickens and put all of us in a line in the woods with the lights off we all had a light, next we sat quietly and the chickens were out on a stake with nylon rope on there feet tied and the chickens were only around 15 feet from us in a line and we faced the chickens and when a predator came in the chickens would start clucking very excited and you can here coyote walking on the leaves and when they were close to us we would turn on the lights and start shooting. The first night we got 3 at just one time, but it is a waiting game and it took over an hour. We used shotguns with #4 buck and it was a fun way of hunting a little different than calling them in because they had live food and found them pretty easy. Not sure of your laws where you hunt but here baitings is legal.

One more time...What the?

i've had sucess w/ 3 or 4, might as well cover all vantage points w/ that many, i think the only problem is the approach 2 the stand 3 or 4 make more noise than 1 or 2.

For saftey reasons its better to have everyone pretty close, If every one is scattered out it just leaves it wide open for a accident to happen in the heat of the moment.

For saftey reasons its better to have everyone pretty close, If every one is scattered out it just leaves it wide open for a accident to happen in the heat of the moment.

Back