Need AR load help- 65 gr Sierra SPBT GameKings-UPDATED 12-6-09

lanole

Anyone got any load data for Sierra GameKing 65 gr SPBT? I would like to use either Varget or H4895, since I have plenty on hand. I've looked for info online, but can't seem to find this bullet.

I'll be looking for some good loads to shoot out of my R15 with a 22" 1:9" twist barrel.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I noticed in the Sierra manual they lump the 63gr and 65gr together on data. I would suggest use 63gr data and start 5% below max and work up. They showed a max load with Varget of 26.3gr but in the Lyman with a 63gr bullet the max was 27.0 gr.

I use sierra's suggested hunting load and it turned out to be very accurate in my 16 in. 1-8 twist AR:

25.5 grains of TAC
Seated to 2.255
Rem 7 1/2 primers

Chrono's about 2850 FPS out of my 16 inch barrel and shoots MOA.

Got a chance to load up some rounds today for the R-15. I used Varget powder and the Sierra 65 gr SPBT. Not really pleased with the results compared to factory 55 gr Hornady VMax stuff. Anybody have any suggestions or see anything promising in the pictures below? I'm tryiung to run down some TAC as well as some H335 powder to try next. All 5 shot groups from 100 yards as well as the 15 rounds or so of Hornady factory ammo.

245VARGET.jpg

25VARGET.jpg

252VARGET.jpg

255Varget.jpg

26Varget.jpg

55VMAX.jpg

He will be five this saturday. He loves to shoot. He usually shoots from a prone position with the gun resting on a bipod. It hilarious to watch him getting "tucked in' behind the AR. He even reminds my buddies about common gun safety items like muzzle awareness and checking for a round in the chamber. It like having a "minni-me" range instructor. He a blast.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary. I'll give it a try. Should I be crimping the bullets? Can't really understand why all these loads are so sporadic.

Crimping is usually detrimental to accuracy. If you need more neck tension you need to adjust the expander button or neck bushing. Also, you can not effectively crimp a bullet without a cannelure without distorting the bullet.

Jack

Thanks for the advice Jack. What are some things I should be looking for to help find an acceptable load with these bullets? I'm going to try some other powders, but I read so many good posts about Varget. I'm guessing my gun will stabilize these bullets (1:9 twist). I don't know if there is something in my loading procedure that could be causing the wide groups. I trimmed all cases to length and FL sized them before hand. Could I possibly have an error in seating the bullets that would cause the sporadic groups or is it just a matter of finding that magic powder weight? Should I try seating the bullets out to 2.260 or what ever the mag will allow? Just looking for some advice to help shorten the learning curve a little. Don't really want to shoot up all my bullets or powder trying to get this thing figured out, as reloading components around here are hard to come by. I mostly get everything off the internet.

I have not used the 65 grain SPBT, but I do usually seat the bullets out as far as I can to where they still fit in the mag with any of the heavier bullets...seems to work better for me.

I was on that search for the right load for months. Until I tripped over some Varget. I worked up a to a load of 27.2grs of Varget behind 65gr Sierra GK. Shot a coyote with that load and it blew his guts out. I estimate the MV at about 3,000 out of 20" AR-15 bbl. This load produces MOA at 200 yds.

i load them w/ 24 g of H4895...not the hottest load but shoots 5 shot groups in the .3's out of my RRA 18" varmint 1:8 twist so i figured i would give up 100 fps or so

lanole,
I shoot the Gamekings in my R-15 and it shoots them about MOA. Your rifle seems to be vertical stringing, you may have ignition issues or the particular rifle doesnt like the gas volume/bullet weight, bullet time in the barrel combo.
I would say first use the loading book value, drop 10 % and work up. I know that u hear that alot. But the fact is you will probably hit an accurate load in the working up process.
I would suggest Rem 7 1/2 primers and personally TAC powder. But I think you can find an accurate load with your powder. No 2 guns, especially gas guns, work the same on the same loads. Sometimes we get lucky , sometimes not.
Hope this helps
Greg Harrison

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on working some more loads this weekend. Still haven't been able to get my hands on any TAC powder. I haven't tried the H4895 yet, but I've got plenty on hand. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. A buddy let me have 10 Cor-Bon DPX 62 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullets to try in my gun. They shot about 3/4 MOA at 100, so I'm fairly sure my rifle will shoot the 65 Sierras once I find the load.

Back