.280 vs .30-06 vs. 300 Win Mag

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43...in your situation I would look at the 300 WSM,

I have looked at that caliber, but three things:

1) I want a very "standard" caliber w/ easy to find ammo.

2) I reload for a friend's 300 Win Mag, therefore I already have the dies and a Dillon 550 "set".

3) It's gotta be a Savage and there is currently a Savage in .300 Win Mag, black, synthetic stock, just like I like 'em, down at my local gun shop.
smile.gif

I think you'll like the 300 wm. I've shot a couple of my buddies and really like the round. I personally use the Savage Weather Warrior 116 in stainless 7mm rm so there is no point of the 300 for me, but the 300's are just about identicle to shoot. You can really reach out and touch something with this type rifle.

Great addition to a collection. Not an all day shooter, I'm not a small guy by any means and about 20 or so shots will turn my shoulder yellowish where the butt meets the shoulder. (Not a nasty blue bruise... but it gets that color after about 40 rounds!)

+1 NdIndy

I agree with others that the .280 is powerful a enough cartridge. However, if you want a new rifle I've always wanted a .300 but i passed on the recoil and just got a .270

I am getting so I have shot quite a few elk now, too (around 25). I bought a 280 with my first paycheck at age fourteen and shot everything with it for about ten years. I still like it. I also don't think going to a 06, 7 mag, etc will gain you anything. I also think the 300 win mag is one of the best all around calibers. Not overkill on deer, and ample power with good range for about everything else. However, I am of the opinion that an elk high on adrenaline might be the toughest beast on earth. I have seen them do amazing things when wounded most people won't hardly believe. About 5 years ago I started using a 375 and don't want to use anything else now. In the end, find a gun/caliber combination that you like and you shoot well, shoot it a lot, and choose your shots in the field. Good luck!

i would keep the 280 and shoot premuim bullets and take your elk home with you to me 06 would gain you nothing in the form of stopping power if you was to jump up a cal i would go with the 300 wm or better yet the 300 weatherby or the .338 cal Ron

deer and elk are 2 totally different animals...

If your max distance is only gonna be 400 yards, your 280 will do all you need it to do with the 160g AB as was mentioned. The velocity and SD with that combo is more then enough to kill any elk at 400 yards. The 160g AB is a very good bullet...Good BC, and wil stilll drive through at close range and still expand well down to 1800fps for longer range.

I am a fan of the 280, not the recoil of the others- (But I have them)- too old too cold to keep crawling back up to the rifle. I have whacked many WT and Muleys out beyond the 400 yard mark w a 280. Once at 465 I wished for more gun. Then spent years with a custom 280 AI, have also owned the 7 Mag, 7 STW- but I always go back to the 280.

Originally Posted By: GySgt... spent years with a custom 280 AI, have also owned the 7 Mag, 7 STW- but I always go back to the 280.

Why did you go back to the standard .280 after the AI?

I have your setup. Been shooting the 280 for 20 years and have had some type of 300 around for larger stuff the 280 might be light on. Currently have a 300WSM and the 280. I wouldn't hesitate one second to use the 280 on elk with the way I reload it.

My girlfriend hunts mule deer and elk with a 280 rem and 150 Partitions. I have confidence in that combination for anything short of grizzly out to 300 yards or so.

I have 2 300 win, both have a muzzle brake and sims recoil pad. and they have half the recoil of my '06. wear ear protection with the muzzle brake. The 300 is flatter shooting and hits alot harder. especially after 300yds. I use strictly Barnes Triple Shock 180 gr. with both guns, and even 75 lb. antelope don't look bad after a lung shot. When hit, antelope are dead right now, and deer are between 20 to 40 yds tracking. Elk,, like the other fella said, "I think it depends on adrenaline level before the shot"

Lee

As many have already said, your 280 with good bullets is fine for elk. Getting a 30-06, 7mmMag, 300WM, or 300wsm just gives you another rifle in the 280's class. Granted the .280 is at the lower end of that class but the difference is negligible.

If you're looking to go up a class in power, then your selection would begin at the 325wsm or 338WM.

Good information!

I'll stick with the .280, will try Accubonds. I mean, I only go elk hunting every 3-5 years (well, maybe more now that I've scored!) and have only scored once (I switch off between rifle and bow every so often which hurts my success rate), so it's not like I'm a big-time elk hunter or anything.

Back