FoxPro Spitfire Review.

Errick

Just thinking about buying one. Any opinions from Spitfire users would be helpful. Volume? Remote range? Battery Life?
Thanks.

There are several posts on the spitfire. I believe that Foxpro will solve any issues that may come up, they always have in the past with all their products I have no reason to believe that they are changing their policy. Customer service seems to be of prime importance to them and not just now that the economy is crappy, I believe that they have always put their customers 1st. I am going to order mine in the morning (Xmas from my wonderful wife).

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesNaw, I haven't seen any reviews or opinions. I don't think anybody has got one or used one yet.

Have you looked around at all?

I'm sensing a little sarcasm in your post
laugh.gif

I have been messing around with my Spitfire for about a week now. I wrote a quick initial review and put that on my blog.

As for your specific questions:

Starting with fully charged AA NiMH batteries...

Range remained good at 200 yards straight line of sight with no obstructions for 4 hours continuous use. I didn't test the range longer than that. In actual use in the field, I feel that 100 yards should be fairly normal range. Try to place the caller in an elevated spot if you can like in the top of a bush.

Volume...for the 4 hour test (continuous use) the volume on high was actually a bit louder than I would normally like. The 4 lower settings can be a bit strange. Levels 1 & 2 are VERY low. Level 3 is what I would call a nice "mid-range". Level 4 jumps up quite a bit from level 3 and is what I would call "loud". Level 5 for anything in the critter distress type sounds is way too loud. Level 5 would be OK for howls, barks, or crow gathering type stuff or during high wind perhaps.

Battery life...again I am using NiMH rechargeable batteries. I think that 4 hours of use is about the max I would want to try even though I am currently on hour 7 of one set...letting the caller play at work.

Temperature...I have had the call out in 20 degree temps with no problem.

Other issues...communication between the remote and the caller is not 100% and you may have to press a button a couple of times to get the response you wanted.

I don't know it anyone else has notice this, but if you let the remote hang from your neck on the lanyard it works better than trying to point it at the caller like you would a TV remote. I'm not sure why this is, but it has made a big difference on mine.

So far I have been please with my call, but I have only used it a couple of times, but I have had a couple of yotes respond.

Terry

alhefner
I won one of these calls at the PPHA north central predator calling contest a little wile back. I really like this call. Your report on the call is pretty close to what I have seen in this call. But I have not had any problems with it playing what sound I pushed to play. I liked the call enough that I ordered another one. I have two other hunters in my family that are predator hunters and also like to crow hunt. If this call was out on the market as little as 3 years ago it would have been one of the top dollar calls in the market. Plus this call is so easy to use. Even the buttons are laid out that you can go by feel and do not have to look at the buttons to use the remote. This may be one of the lower priced calls from FoxPro. So if anyone is shopping for a call, make no mistake it is a top quality call and well worth the money.
Ernie

Can't go wrong in my opinion. Just got mine for Christmas (opened it up Saturday). Great quality. Easy to reprogram. I order some sounds from Foxpro and had them shortly thereafter. Reprogramming took less than 5 minutes. Volume is good. Remote is easy to use. I only tested mine in short range but didn't see any problems with it not taking commands. I'm on the version 3 firmware though.

And wow, you should see my cat respond to the Bobcat in Heat sound. Hilarious.

I recieved my spitfire for Chritmas, took it out on Christmas day and called in a dog within 15 minutes. I am new to predator hunting and had been using a hand call, over the last 8 weeks I had called in one dog and didn't even get a shot. Since then I have have called in and killed 4 dogs and could not be happier. Volume could be louder for the open areas that I hunt but an external speaker takes care of that problem. I have the version 3 and have had no problems other that a slow display due to the sub-freezing weather. I love my spitfire, it has made my predator hunting experience much more exciting. It is a great entry level unit and I would recommend it to everyone.

Back