Anyone use the 80gr TTSX in the .25-06

I have purchased a Marlin XL7 camo .25-06 and plan on using it for a rainy day/truck gun and was wondering if anyone has used this load on coyotes and or deer if so what speeds can you expect out of the 22" Bbl? I have a .257 WBY but want to play with the .25-06 for fun.

I just started using them in my 25-06 AI with a 26" barrel this season. I am getting 3850 FPS with Rl-17. Accuracy is excellent.

I didn't find a buck that I wanted, but I shot 2 does with this load. Both high shoulder shots one at 150 yds and the other at 400. Both dropped in their tracks and the bullet went thru both shoulder bones on each. The exit hole was surprisingly small, about the size of my little finger, on both. I have a little concern as to whether the bullet will expand enough if only ribs and internal organs are shot. I guess that will have to wait until next year's season for further testing.

As for expected speed out of a straight 25 with a 22" barrel, I would guess in the neiborhood of 3550 FPS.

I would expect pelt damage on a coyote to be about a little as possible from a 25-06.

Put a 26" Ackley improved barrel on the rifle and you won't ever have to take that Roy out of the gun cabinet, and you'll save 10 grs. of powder every time you pull the trigger
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I can buy a lot of powder for the cost of a custom barrel plus you would have to FF the brass. I am getting 3,627ft/s with RL-22 and 100gr TSX out of a 24" Vanguard Sub MOA Stainless .257 WBY and it shoots 1/2" or better so the chances of me making it a safe queen are slim. Lol! Sound's like you have a great rifle and load there!

Last edited:
how many grains of reloder 22 are you putting in there to get 3600 out of a 100 grain bullet wit ha 24 inch barrel?
I get 3300 from my 26 inch '06 using a 100 grain Nosler ballistic using 55.5 of rx 22...

You must need to add more powder. Im getting 3650 out of my 2506AI in a 26" barrel. Im also getting +3800fps out of my 30" 9 twist shilen 2506AI using the 100gr bullet too. The 115gr bullets are reaching 3600fps out of that rifle.

Originally Posted By: Krakkonhow many grains of reloder 22 are you putting in there to get 3600 out of a 100 grain bullet wit ha 24 inch barrel?
I get 3300 from my 26 inch '06 using a 100 grain Nosler ballistic using 55.5 of rx 22...

73.0gr of RL22 and I have no pressure signs.

I'm shooting 57g of R#19 in a Win case with Win primers, .040 off the lands for a velocity of 3475 fps out of a 24" barrel using 100g Hornady flat base bullets; Speer BTSP shoot a tiny bit more accurate. I have never had any problem anchoring deer with these two bullets.

I don't see the justification for the cost of these bullets at $0.63 a piece unless you live in lead free California. Target practice could get awfully expensive.

Im running 61.5 gr of rel22 and no pressure signs. 12gr of powder difference with almost the same velocity?
How much freebore does your weatherby have? Ive heard they were long throated?

Originally Posted By: FlybusterI don't see the justification for the cost of these bullets at $0.63 a piece unless you live in lead free California. Target practice could get awfully expensive.

Yeah but you should see the red mist they create in a PD town

Originally Posted By: Krakkonthat must be a 257 weatherby?

Sorry guy's but it is a .257 WBY that I am getting 3,627ft/s with RL22 and the 100gr TSX.

All Weatherby chamberings have 3/8" freebore.

Last edited:
Back