Fleshing beam size

Fulldraw84

I'm in the process of purchasing the equipment that i will need to put up my own furs with some to sell and some to keep. My questions is what size fleshing beam do i need for coyotes and red fox?

Also i don't know if i was doing something wrong but i could not access the links in fur handling post/tips.

I see that this and older post but I will post a pic for ya

30a5m6g.jpg

70kvbm.jpg

Is that just a regular 2x6? You didn't round any part of it off? This may be a stupid question but does the hide just stay in place when you flesh it or do you have to tack it down to keep it from sliding?

Whoops, i didn't see the pic below it.

Last edited:
Fulldraw84 .That is a rough hardwood 1 x 6 . There is a very slight round to the first 20 inches of the board . I use the cloth you see on the nose part of the beaver to hold it into place, the same with all the critters . Just push it against your thye and the end of the beam with the pelt in the position you are fleshing .You can work the whole hide like that. There's been a lot of grease scraped of pelts on that beam .......

Here are a few pictures of mine. It ain't fancy, but it works for me.
I've mounted it on the back of my shop door where when I'm not using it, it's out of the way. It's held in place with a bungie cord between two nails.

FleshingBeam002.jpg

This picture shows it in the "let down position". I used one set of hinges. One hinge was used to fasten it to the door and the other one to hinge the leg. Cut the leg to whatever length will bring the end of the beam to the height that's comfortable for you to work.

FleshingBeam005.jpg

And this picture shows the contour. Sorry this is the best I can do. I cut out the shape with my table saw and then worked it over with a draw knife. When I had the basic shape I wanted, I sanded it down smooth with a belt sander.

FleshingBeam.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas and helps you out.

Back