battery life on FX-3

I go to Costco and buy the big brick of Kirkland alkaline. they seem to preform as well as the name brands and last me usually a whole day. They cost less than half price of the name brands. I keep two ziplock bags and put the spent ones in one to recycle and the fresh ones in the other. Just make sure you label the bags.

Never forget the batteries and have to buy them in a gas station in a one gas station town. It cost me more to fill up my foxoro than it did my truck!

I have wondering if anyone has used the Alkaline recharger?

Originally Posted By: jspencerThe one thing you have to worry about with the high capacity NimH cells is that they discharge rather fast when not in use. So if they sit for a few weeks after a charge and you go to use it they may be almost dead.

Right! That's why I check them with my multimeter- if they're a little low, I can pop them in the charger for 15-30 minutes to freshen them up. You can do that with NiMh, not good with NiCa. NiMh can lose quite a bit of charge over the course of a few days, or even less.

I'm thinking about using my R/C digital peak charger to charge the batteries directly in the pack (disconnected from the FoxPro, of course). Has anyone else done that sort of thing?

For those of you who don't know, the nice thing about a digital peak charger is that you can program how fast/slow you want to charge (w/in limits), and it reads the battery and stops at the appropriate charge. Then you can see how much charge the batteries took, which is useful information. This is a lot better that a timer type charger, IMHE.

Originally Posted By: jspencerma determines how long it will last. The nominal voltage of the cells should be 1.2V each. There are 8 batteries in series in the pack so it's nominal voltage is 9.6V. The one thing you have to worry about with the high capacity NimH cells is that they discharge rather fast when not in use. So if they sit for a few weeks after a charge and you go to use it they may be almost dead. This is where A123's or LiPo's would be better as they hold the charge a long time. If I could find some that would fit in the case I would switch to them.

eneloops are designed to hold a charge when not in use.

Go look here on Predator Masters on Electronic Callers forum. There is a sticky that covers rechargable batteries and explains some of the technical terms. After using both speakers on my FX3 and having it chew through alkaline batteries, I read that post, bought the enloop batteries and the smart re-charger and am thrilled at both the battery life and the savings of even Costco alkalines. Yes, $80 is expensive for the 16 AAs and the charger, but I love the fact the enloops can hold a charge for a year as compared to the less expensive rechargible batteries.

Back