Hung up coon?

nirvanafan

Earlier today I was calling some den trees for coon with my PreyMaster. I finally caught some movement up in a tree on my third or fourth set. The coon was just poking out from the other side of the tree and never came around or down the tree. I tried switching sounds and volume a couple times but nothing. As it was getting close to dark I decided to try the shot. I missed and he disappeared.

Is there something else I can try to get a "hung up" coon to come down? maybe use a decoy? any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I haven't had much either. If they don't want to come out they don't. Did get one to come out twice by switching sounds. I think watching where you set up is key. I think a decoy would help keep there attention off of your movement. Good luck.

yeah, I had my speaker set kind of high in a sapling. I wonder if he could see that and wondered why there was nothing going on where the sound was coming from...

We usually start with the Raccoon Fight on the Ecaller and after 4 mins (or a Hung Coon), we will switch over to the Raccoon Distress and then back to the Raccoon Fight.

Here is some things we do to try to keep them from hanging up...
Set up to the back side of the hole if possible.
Be quiet getting there --- They are very alert most of the time even though they are in the tree
A decoy is very important in you want him to not only come out, but come down the tree...we use the MOJO Critter and last weekend we had one coon knock the decoy over and on another hunt we cost ourselves $40.00. We shot the Decoy and the Raccoon in the same shot (Note to self...3" 5's will end your decoys life too)

Good Luck and keep us posted with your results.
We are into production of a Daytime Raccoon Calling DVD and look to have it available around the end of 1Q - 2010.

Happy Hunting,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

thanks for the info... i saw your clip of daytime coon calling... very cool... am i just crazy or did i hear that it was going to be on Mojo's TV show soon?

Nirvana,

You are correct, the footage was aired on MOJO Outdoors TV this week. Bad news is that it already aired on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on the Pursuit Channel (608).

You can see thier remaining schedule here:
http://www.mojooutdoors.com/mojotv_schedule.htm

The footage will air on WildTV the rest of this week but that would only be if you were headed across the border sometime soon.
smile.gif

Stay Tuned, there may be more action on MOJO Outdoors TV in the 1stQ of 2010 for you to see.

Thanks,

Richie

Back