Shotshells for coyote

howling

I have used 3" shotshells in the past and 2 3/4 also so I patterned several types but the one I keep going back to is 4 buck with 27 pellets also known as Law Enforcement ammo by Nobel Sport. I have killed coyotes out to around 62 yards 50 yards and under they die right there on the spot at 60 yards they run around 20 yards and dead by the time I catch up to them and the amazing thing is it is only 2 3/4 shotshell producing 1325 fps. It seems faster than a lot of 3" mag shells and it patterns nice. Price is or was $8.99 box of 10. Sometimes I forget the power of magnums and use what I know works, mine is the 2 3/4 shotshells in Nobel Sports. I use a 1187 Remington 26" barrel cheap Undertaker Turkey choke and your ready for coyotes. What other type of ammo do you use that you know works in the field?

Last edited:
I use a 12 gauge Benelli Super Nova with 3 1/2 inch Winchester Super-X Magnum Buffered #4 Buckshot 54 Pellets they shoot rite around 1100 fps and with a improved modified choke they will anchor a coyote out to 65 yards.

Originally Posted By: howlingI'm not shoulder sensitive but it sounds like me and the coyote is going to get it with a 3 1/2.

From experience
You DON'T want to pound 3 in a row off
cry.gif
it hurts

It seems that no matter where I put my thumb on the stock it always hit me in the face and after 3 shots I had a knot on my face.

I love 3.5" ...I do hate the price but I shoot upwards of 25-30 when I am water fowling and I do not get bothered by them at all .....I shot them on opening day(Sept10) after a bad accident on August the 14th .....Three fingers on my right hand had exposed bone and were pointing the wrong way
and two on my left were severed almost off 2 plastic surgery
sessions latter and 40 trips to rehab I can move them and have a little feeling! ...oh I forgot to mention the cracked sternum and the 2 broken ribs!!!! !@#$ if this is not a sales pitch for Beretta Extrema 2 with K/O I don't know what is....funny part is I could still out shoot a few of my buddy's and they are pretty darn good.....I had a have a hard time with the high pass shots .....Oh ya torn rotor cuff on shooting shoulder .....Man I am a mess....I love the 3.5"

I always used to laugh at the rookies after range days, getting to go back on patrol with a bloody nose.

Trick is to not wrap your thumb over the top at all, just lay it next to your other fingers. No real loss of control and you'll have a happier time.

Rubenator,
A tornado went through my yard and uprooted about 18 BIG trees
and through them all over the yard and some on the house..
I was clearing one of those trees when I heard a loud bang!
that was a dry rot tree exploding under tension!...woke up about 15 min. later!

this tree was on my house and I was on a extention ladder 25 feet up and I hit every thing on the way down ...ladder, saw.. ground !

0813092342.jpg

GEDC0058.jpg

GEDC0062.jpg

Yes I am pretty lucky! and I am a quick healer!

Last edited:
just thought about it ...does the graphic post stuff apply to your self? .....My wife says that I don't bounce very well...
my friends say my days as a hand model are over.....I am happy my trigger finger still works! I have a long way to go but I don't pass out anymore when I cough or sneeze and I have 80% use back in the left and 90% in the right!
I have a lot to be thankful for and thank the good Lord for breaking my fall....they say he never gives you more then you can handle ......I must be able to handle a lot of sh%$!

I sorta got a story like you jonathon. I was supposes to go on my first elk hunt a couple yrs back and on the morning I was supposed to leave someone broke in our house and I took a .22lr to the temple! Then my mom really loved it when after I already had 3 MRI's that a MRI machine is really a big magnet and I got bullet fragments floating around in my forehead. Good thing the .22lr was lead

Back