Howa 1500

pkett44

I,m thinking of buying a Howa 1500 in .223. The one I'm considering has a 20" barrel. Any opinions,comments, experiences? Any input would be appreciated.
Philip

I think a 20 is a good compromise.. You can go longer and gain a few more fps. but will be toteing around more than the return in my opinion..

The Howa/Vanguard, are nice platforms. I do not see how you could go wrong..

Good luck..

I have 3 one in 308. one in 243 and one in 223 the 308 and 223 both are heavy barrel, one has the axiom stock the other a laminate thumbhole. All three of them shoot moa, the 308 if I do my part will shoot 1/2" moa.... I actually am looking at another one in 204

i held one of the heavy barrel 20 inch howa's and it was a tank. i think the tag said almost 10 pounds with out a scope. One with a standard barrel would be at least a pound lighter i would think. I do like 20 inch barrels for coyotes though perfect for quick shots. jeff

I got two the Axiom in 204 and a 270 with a laminated thumbhole stock both are excellent guns. Would highly recommend either one only thing bout the Axiom is the weight as some have said earlier.

I bought a 20" ranchland in .223 rem off of lanole on this forum. I like it, though it does have its advantages and disadvantages. The barrel twist is 1:12, so don't plan on shooting heavy bullets if you buy one. My groups open up quite a bit with the midsouth 55gr varmint nighmares, and 55gr remington sp's if I don't get them going at a pretty good speed. I have only tried two other bullets, both were liter and held MOA no problem. One was the 33gr TNT intended for hornet loads, but the bullet held together at .223 rem velocities in my gun, so I am thinking it will be real good for reduced loads for rabbit and fox. Also my gun has a relatively tight chamber. My fireformed brass fits in my buddies savage, but not the other way around, and I can't seem to get to the max loads in the lyman manual without seeing pressure signs. One other thing: the trigger is adjustable, but a pain in the but to get all of the creep out without having a rather heavy pull weight. All in all I like the gun. It is accurate, light, and cheaper than comperable models.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pkett44I,m thinking of buying a Howa 1500 in .223. The one I'm considering has a 20" barrel. Any opinions,comments, experiences? Any input would be appreciated.
Philip

Don't have a HOWA 223 with a 20" barrel, but do have a Weatherby Vanguard 20" barreled 223. Same rifle, different name. As mentioned, it does have a 1-12 twist, so I shoot light weight bullets, 52 grainers or lighter. It is a very accurate rifle, and came glass bedded at the lug, and barrel free floating. I've shot a couple of 3 shot, 3/8" groups at 100 yards, with most running 1/2" for 3 shots, using a Weaver V-16 set at 16x for load testing.
It is light weight, and very handy with the 20" barrel. Based on it's excellent accuracy, I bought another Vanguard in 25-06.

Here are two targets shot with the Vanguard.

DSCF0322.jpg

DSCF0321.jpg

Howa has been putting out fine rifles for many years.

I had a Howa in 22-250 a handful of years back and she was a well built accurate rifle. Only reason she is no longer in the harem is I traded her in for my Ruger VT.

Howa is one of the most over looked rifles in my opion. I have had a few vanguards one in 22-250 its shot right at 1" and my brother has a 257 weatherby in the vanguard it will shoot 1" as well. I had a howa varminter in 204 ruger and it would shoot ragged holes all at 100 yrds. The varminter was heavy. Stainless thumbhole stock bull barrel. But it would shoot. the actions on the howas are pretty good for the price. A preson just can not go wrong for the price and quailty of the howa rifles.

Back