Arizona Hunters - Fury or CS24?

Salmo22

I've reached the age (54) where I buy my own Christmas presents and I'm going to get an electronic caller. It will be my first e-caller and I'm going to get either the FoxPro Fury or CS24. I'm an Arizona hunter and wanted to know what the preference was for hunters in my neck of the woods. I attended a presentation by Mark Zepp at APC last Thursday and he currently uses a CS24. I've done my research and read several posts on the subject - I believe I understand the technical differences. However, I specifically want to know why Arizona hunters prefer one over the other.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Fury and really like it alot. I've never used the CS24, but I can tell you that the Fury has been working like a charm!

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockI have a Fury and really like it alot. I've never used the CS24, but I can tell you that the Fury has been working like a charm!

Hey Jeff:

Thanks for the response. Do you primariy hunt open county or tight cover? I prefer to hunt more open terrain (I like longer shots) and wondered if you thought the Fury had the necessary volume? Finally, what were you using before the Fury and why did you choose it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jeff's been tearin' it up this year with his Fury and results are hard to argue with. However, if you're hunting big spaces and looking for big FoxPro volume the CS-24L Krakatoa is the hot ticket. I've got that big speaker on a WT and it produces some big, big volume.

Try to find someone who owns that big CS-24L and get thier input.

Mark Healy

Open cover, tight cover, you name it. The Fury has planty of volume for open the terrain.

I've used handcalls exclusivley up until this year. I recently went on a hunt where a Fury was used, and was pretty impressed with the results.

Witht he Fury, I have the option of running it with 1 or 2 speakers for added volume, and added effect.

I still love my hand calls though. Nothing feels better than calling one into your lap with a handcall and the satisfaction you get from knowing you did yourself.

They both have pro's & cons. The CS24 won to me because it seems to have a fuller sound, feeling like producing a larger presence similar to a WT. The 24 however has not played the mixed sounds correctly. Less features seem like less fuss on the 24. It is s little bigger so not quite as easy to carry.

Personally, I would go with the CS-24. No matter how loud your caller, you're always going to wish there were a couple more DB. And if the CS sounds as good as the Fury, why not have the most volume? Even if you don't need it, you can turn it down, but if you do, it will be there for ya...

Now, I've never seen one of the CS's though, so don't know how that would be to lug around compared to the Fury. That might also be a deciding factor.

Originally Posted By: WebopperNow, I've never seen one of the CS's though, so don't know how that would be to lug around compared to the Fury. That might also be a deciding factor.

Based on my research, they are very close to the same size and weight. Here are a couple of photos of the two together from APC's website.

calls001-120a.jpg
calls002-85a.jpg

Last edited:
Both are very nice callers. The cs24 has the edge in volume, which is handy for open and windy conditions. The toa also has a superb frequency range.

Either the Fury or the CS24 will do the job nicely. I would look at which fits your portability requirements better and / or accessory requirements (ie enclosed battery pack and in-the-field charging accessories with the Fury are a plus)

P1010570small.jpg

CS24 pictured with external toa speaker. TX500 remote leaning against speaker for size ref.

Volume is not the answer to everything, but the cs24 has the distinction of being the loudest true stereo (as in 2 tracks) capable caller we are aware of.

P1010572small.jpg

We did some NON scientific tests with various vocals and did get some painfully loud peak db readings. Crow, waterfowl, and some open country hunters may like the dual speakers, as for me, my alone, run and gun style of hunting, would make it one to many items to carry in the field.

Good luck with your choices, many good ones out there.

I can answer regarding packability. I'm using the CS-24 and a Mojo Critter. All of my hunting is on foot and I cover a lot of ground. It is all wide open sage with big rolling hills and deep coolies. I transport the caller, mojo, extra battery pack, knife, water bottle, survival kit, ammo, 550 cord, and a PLB in this,

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034320517030a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=fanny+pack&sort=all&Go.y=8&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=8&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Also, I was using an FX-5. The CS-24 is really the bomb. Nice and loud when the wind is up.Sound quality is perfect. Weight or bulk is Not a factor. I can honestly say that there is no felt difference when packing the CS-24 vs. the FX-5, which I beleive is the same size as the Fury. I can Highly recommend APC. Excellent Customer Service and fast shipping. Hope this helps out.

STS

I hunt with a buddy who uses the Fury and can say not only is it LOUD but also clear! The sound doesnt seem to distort while on high volume. Keep in mind the CS-24 is directional while the Fury you have two directions with two speakers front and back! Never thought I would ever see the day where I would consider paying $600 on an electronic call, but I want one bad!

I have a number of different electronic callers and enjoy using them and noting each callers positives and negatives.

Even the smallest TOA speaker in their SC horn series will trump the stock Fury speaker setup in loudness. I have a number of callers and bought the exact same sized TOA horn speaker used in the CS24 (SC-610) and used it as an external speaker on my Fury. Very loud and definitely a powerful directional output. I even purchased the TOA speaker 3 sized bigger in the SC series, the SC-630 and connected it to my Fury. I stood 40 feet away and had to cover my ears it was so loud. I would also bet the high end frequency response of these TOA horn speakers are not as good as the smaller stock speakers found in the Fury. The SC-630 is what Mark uses in his big Wildlife Technologies electronic caller. Speaker is quite cumbersome but is the loudest speaker by far- bar none.

sc_series.jpg

The Scorpion has plenty of power for the TOA 10 and 15 Watt models. I really like the 10 Watt model, it makes for a small sized package with the Scorpion.

Back