Well addiction has set In looking for 52gr sp hpbt loads for new swift

Manitobamonster

I got my first 220 few weeks ago Rustydust said you fool you are hooked for life.
Went to a gunshow today and another followed me home a nice Ruger reg barrel tang safety made in 1978. So now question know some you shoot these what loads do they seem to like the most? Looking for something 50gr lead have 50gr bt 52 gr Speer hp and 55 gr blitzkings ATM. Are these good shooting guns or did I waste $600? It is in beautiful shape. Any help appreciated and thx in advance!!
2 220's now and counting you where so right Rustydust [beeep] addict now LOL
grin.gif
whistle.gif

36.5 grs of varget cci large rifle magnum primers and 52 gr. berger hp not real fast but deadly and accurate in the 2 rugers and 2 remington swifts I have owned

I had good luck with 35.5grs of RL15 and a Sierra 60gr HP, I know you was looking for something smaller, but this load was very accurate, killed groundhogs flat even though it only got about 3500fps(slow for a swift) and the bullets are reasonably priced.

The Speer 52 gr. HP is a great bullet, so are all the non- blitz Sierra bullets (blitz are thin-jacketed line made for the .222/.223 velocities); the Sierra 40 gr. HP is a great bullet for highest speed in the .220 Swift.

For powders, try IMR 4064, maybe IMR 4895, lots of other good ones.

Originally Posted By: Manitobamonster
2 220's now and counting you where so right Rustydust [beeep] addict now LOL
grin.gif
whistle.gif

Oh dear! You are toast by now! TWO Swifts in such a short period of time. I tried to warn you.
rolleyes.gif

But what is it about this overbore round that makes them so appealing? Velocity? Accuracy? Charisma? Yes I say to all three. And if you ever watched through your scope as a prairie dog suddenly turn into something out of a kaleidoscope you will understand all the better. Yes it booms. Yes it burns a lot of powder for a .224 caliber. Yes it will wear out a barrel quicker than most of the other varmint calibers. All of which I say is- So Freaking What? This is a .220 Swift! This is what it is supposed to do for crying out loud. You don't by a Corvette ZR1 and drive it around half throttle! If you got a Swift and it dont make you giggle like 12 year old looking at his father's Playboys then all I can say is congrats to your brain surgeon because your frontal lobotomy was a success!

Oh, and I am indeed jealous of your tang safety M77. Good going. Mine just loved 45 grains of IMR 4350 powder and the Sierra HPBT bullet. I killed many a Schlitz beer can with mine back in the middle '70s. Maybe someday I will find me another at a price that I can live with. I think it is time that I started looking for one again. Got to love them Swifts!
thumbup.gif

All I can say Martyn is that it is never too late to become an addict!
scared.gif

But hey, after that nice PM detailing the virtues of the .223 Ackley (having it built as we speak), at least I can give you some of what I love about them Swifts, eh?

I am hoping for some warmer weather this weekend so I can take out my Swift and see how a few new loads using IMR 4007 powder works for it. It looks like it may be a good one. Besides, I never need an excuse to go the the shooting range!

Back