Problem with remington 788 trigger

bosco

A few months ago i took my rem. 788 22-250 in to have a trigger job.The smith had trouble with it and when he finally got it done i was less than pleased.Lots of creep and felt very sloppy. he said there was nothing more he could do because the gun was just cheap junk.He requested if I ever needed any more work done on it to take it to some one else.I took it out on a coyote hunt yesterday and discovered that it will some times fire when I click the safty off.Thank god the first time it happened i had the gun pointed to the sky.Well I took it apart today and the whole trigger assembly just drops out the only thing holding it to the action is the stock. It appears that the tab of metal that a pin goes through to hold it to the action has been broken off.Is this something that can be fixed easily by a competent gunsmith? I dont want to sink a bunch of money into the gun but if it was less than $100.00.I think i would have it done.Any one else ever had this proplem?

Sounds like to got screwed on a trigger job. I have had several 788's and a good trigger job is not that hard to get if the smith knows what he's doing. 788 parts are not easy to find, but they're out there. You might try to find an after market trigger. Numericks is a good place to look for parts and a GOOD smith may be able to repair what you have. Sorry for your problem and the 788 is along way from being cheep junk. Thats sounds like his way of saying I'm a gunsmith, I just don't know what I'm doing. My best advice is don't go back and let your friends know how he trashed your trigger.

Bosco- I just googled rem788triggers and it says that Timney make a replacement trigger and is available through Brownells for about $120.00. Problem solved!

I think There is still the problem of the spot where the trigger housing is pinned to the action.since it is snapped off there is no where to hook the new trigger.I was thinking of doing that very thing.Now it depends on how much to fix the broken mnting tang.Thanks for your responses guys.

If its the mount on the receiver, it could be major. Can you post a picture. Any thing can be fixed if you can stand the $$$$$.

"He requested if I ever needed any more work done on it to take it to some one else."

If it were me I would take it back to him and make him repair the damage he caused. If it wasn't broken when you orginally took it to him, I would be all over him for returning to you a known defective firearm and calling it fixed. At the very least I would recover the money for the botched trigger job. Does this supposed "gunsmith" posess any type of creditals?

Ask him if he has LIABILITY insurance for the poor work he did. This will usually clear up any financial indifference between you and he. It worked well for me on the GP100 a local "proffessional certified and licensed gunsmith" really screwed up, then tried to pass off as safe and OK to fire. Then again, I am still waiting to get my replacement gun from him (its been 4 months).

B

I would also speak to this "gunsmith" about repairing the trigger that he broke. It certainly can't hurt to speak to him politely and calmly.

Originally Posted By: 204DudeI would also speak to this "gunsmith" about repairing the trigger that he broke. It certainly can't hurt to speak to him politely and calmly.

"Politely and calmly" most important. Remain a concerned customer at all times. After all, are we not all looking out for ourselves and our families best interests?

B

Bosco,
I have a 788 in 22-250 also. I had the trigger mounting pin break off. Back when these rifles were still being made it was pretty common for these to break while the roll pin was being driven out to remove the trigger. You have to put pressure toward the reciever then drive out the pin. The mounting pins were just brazed in place.
Your gunsmith may have broken it when removing the trigger. It could have already been broken but I doubt it because it worked before. Any competent Machinist or Gunsmith can repair this easily by tapping a bolt in it's place and drilling the hole in the proper location. Better than new.

Originally Posted By: calldog Bosco,
I have a 788 in 22-250 also. I had the trigger mounting pin break off. Back when these rifles were still being made it was pretty common for these to break while the roll pin was being driven out to remove the trigger. You have to put pressure toward the reciever then drive out the pin. The mounting pins were just brazed in place.
Your gunsmith may have broken it when removing the trigger. It could have already been broken but I doubt it because it worked before. Any competent Machinist or Gunsmith can repair this easily by tapping a bolt in it's place and drilling the hole in the proper location. Better than new.

calldog is correct. The 788 Rem, 580,581, and all of the 541 series Rem. had the same trigger mount setup. A screw tapped in the receiver with the proper hole alignment drilled thru it will be the best fix. The Timney triggers are worth the price and especially installed in the 788's. If you want the original trigger fixed correctly, I would send it to Brian Voelker who does a super job on 788/581 triggers. His turn around is usually under 2 weeks.

Thanks guys. thats a very good idea about tapping the receiver and putting in a screw. thats is what i think i will do.I thought about taking it back to the same gunsmith but i was pretty disgusted with him and my thoughts now are to not have any more dealings with him and you can bet all my hunting buddies will know not to go to him for gun repairs.

Rem 788 triggers are not easily "fixed". There are no adjustments, and to fix one requires modifying the trigger itself. Brian Voelker does 788 triggers very well. He did one for me. I did one and it was not as good as Brian Voelker's triggers. He has the knack, I don't.
Not sure what your smith did to the trigger on your rifle, so I can't cmt onthat. What I can say is the guy is a real JERK for even attempting to "fix" a 788 trigger without knowing how to do it. He should have told you up front that 788 triggers are beyond his capability.
If it were my rifle, I would either send the trigger to Brian Voelker, or, buy a Timney replacement trigger. Brian charged me $65 for the one he did for me.

Martyn

Edit to add: Brian Voelker is one of THE BEST Remington gunsmiths in America. He lives in Iowa.
Brian Voelker:
2878 170th Ave
Ryan, Iowa
563-932-2570

Last edited:
Yes! The ol 788 is back in business.Heres how i fixed it.I smoothed off the area where the old trigger tang had broken off. then I set the trigger assembly back on the reciever and marked a center line.Put the reciever in the drill press and drilled and tapped a 10/32 hole.I cut down a 10/32 machine screw to the same lenght as the old mounting tang.Then I filed it square to match the broken tang screwd it in.I had to file off a little of the thread end so it was flush on the inside of the reciever so the bolt would close easily.I put the old trigger assembly back on but the smith had screwed it up so bad that the safty came no where near to engageing. I ordered a Timney trigger.A little pricey at $125.00.I had to dremel out the stalk a little to get it to fit but not bad.I had it set at 2# by the folks at Timney.I have shot about 10 rounds at 100 yards to see if its going to work so far I am very happy.I will go out and shoot a bit more when the weather permits.

I just want to add a big thank you to Calldog. it was his post that got me to thinking i could fix this myself.So thanks Calldog YOU THE MAN!

Bosco,
No problem. Glad that I could help you out.Like I said before 788's are worth saving after all they don't make them anymore. It seems these days if you want quality you have to go backwards because NEW=JUNK.

bosco, Glad you got it fixed. Better yet you did it yourself. I have a 788 that I put a timney trigger in. I to had to dremel out the stock, sure made it nicer to shoot.

Back