notimer

Well looking to switch to a mil-dot I'm right handed
have good eyes, won't be shooting at much of anything
less that 6" or maybe an egg or two @ 200 and usually no
more than 700 yds..although I may try some @ 900yds
...I don't want to waste $$ on something that's no good,
like the chinese junk. I got the math down and am ready
to start...and would like a $200 to $500 scope
and I know you guys wouldn't steer me wrong..
If I have to spend $600 or more I'll have to
wait a couple more months.That won't be a problem., but I
won't even think of spending over $800 for one...
I just don't want to need a better scope after
a month or two...I really want all american made although
I don't have much problem with Japan....or true military surplus......
..I'd be thankful of any advise given..

Whatever u do try and purchase a mil-dot optic that's calibrated for a power lower than the highest. I have a 6-18 Nikon Buckmasters MD that's cald. for 12x (typical of all the Nikon mil-dot optics). But i apply it for rangefinding and downrange zeroing at the optic's highest power (18) where it now becomes 2.4 inch per hundred yds. between dots and the dots become a 1/2" dot now instead of a 3/4" dot...basically.

I'm leaning twords the ss hd (super sniper hd) that swfa has out. Theres a great reveiw out on video at snipershide.com if your looking for a mil / mil tactical scope.
I'm still trying to simplify the math myself.lol

I am thinking of the SS in the 10x42. I read alot of good reviews, and not just from their site. I don't see the hd on their site. I looked for the video, do you have a link? I am only worried the 10x fixed may limit me on closer shots. If it were 6 or 8x I would go ahead and order one. But, I think i am going to try one out after Christmas.

Heck, I went back and saw the HD model. It doesn't give much explanation as to why it is so much more. I assume its the mrad or whatever. I think is has much more precise clicks than moa. Just my guess

Thanks Guys is there any more options other than SWFA
Of course I've never heard of them.......I will do some
checking on the co.are they USA or Chinese imports????
can't see much with a picture. I like to use a loupe to
look at stuff before I buy....You can tell alot
about Quality from one of those........condisider me
an infant about these products for I havent bought a
scope in about 10 years.......but I will give these
SWFA's a look. I've owned older Tascos, Burris, Redfield
Simmons, and I know you get what you pay for, but I do
know most chinese stuff is pure junk, and these days
there seems to be some dishonesty to where stuff comes
from with the new B/S laws concerning country of orign..
One co. I called said oh If we touch the product we can
put Made in America on it..It's the new laws..I got Ill..
so guys forgive me for being a little leary..........
Any more suggestions?....Thanks again.....

Viper series are Jap glass.
Diamond series are China,

Try to look through a Viper series, if you can, target dot is not normaly stocked by stores that I am aware of...

If you decide you want one, I can help..

I owned a SS 10x42 and it was a great piece of glass for the price(I got mine on sale for $289 shipped with sunshade and caps). I had it on my 20" DPMS bull barrel that was outfitted with a Magpul PRS stock and setup for punching paper essentially. At 100 yards it was still very useable and not "over-powered" for shooting targets. Although at anything further than about 300 yards you were straining to see your hits. So if you're truly looking for a long range mil-dot scope, they offer the same scope in 16x or 20x. If I was building a bench gun for distances out to 1000 yards, I'd opt for the 16x.

I just bought a nikon monarch 4x16 mildot. it's in your price range. I haven't mounted it yet so no review but it gets pretty good reviews. The glass is super. Check on long range hunter website for more reviews.

The only reason I didn't get the Vortex was the short eye relief. Mine is going on a 300 win mag and I didn't want to risk scope eye.

I owned a SS 20x42 some yrs back. Very clear/sharp glass for the money. Not sure if they've done any improvements on that scope model in the last 8yrs or so. But the [W & E]adjustment shank's, the turrent knobs were mounted/[screwed] onto. Were not knurled, but smooth brass. which made them/ [adjustment knobs], prone to loosening up.

Last edited:
just for an interum scope while the new vipers are coming out, i am going to play with a Mueller APT on my Model 700 in .308. ill test it some and post up here

Originally Posted By: joshk1234i really like the clarity of the vortex viper line- lifetime warranty, exceptional glass, good bang for your buck. and they're $50 off form now till the new year....

http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx

I just recently received that exact scope after having problems with several in the Crossfire line. To make a long story short they ended up crediting me for the original scope I bought plus the 30mm scope rings I bought to mount the third scope they sent me and charged me 50$ for a scope that was about 4 times the price of the original scope I bought. I am very pleased with the customer service and I am very pleased with the Viper. Glass was better than expected (which is saying a lot, I had pretty high expectations already) and judging from the box test I did it tracks very well and is true to its 1/4moa adjustments. Overall I am extremely pleased with the way my problems were handled by Julie at Vortex customer service and the quality of the final scope I received.

Those Vortex people are great, and the Viper series is outstanding in my opinion.

If any one needs Vortex stuff, let me know.... I can help...

I'm new here and this is my 1st post. I'm glad that it's on this topic. I own two Super Sniper 10x scopes. One has the side-focus (SS10X42M) and the other is a rear focus (SS10X42). Both have been awesome and I've really enjoyed shooting with them on my 22" .223 AR-15 Varminter and 24" Savage .308 Tactical.

I primarily shoot 200 yards but have smacked gongs out to 500 with the savage. For the price you can't go wrong with these. Clarity is great (slightly less than Leupold Vari-X IIIs, IMHO), click adjustments are great, never lost zero in the 5 years I've owned them, and SWFA is a FANTASTIC company. Great customer service and FAST.

Once, I purchased a new rifle case and it was a "bit" too thin. After my flight from Houston to Phoenix, I managed to damage the windage adjustment knob from being knocked around in the belly of the plane. I called SWFA and they set up my RMA. Two days later I received a BRAND NEW SS10X42 via FedEX Next Day Air and inside was the FedEX return label for the damaged one. They didn't even ask me for a credit card to secure the new one! I don't know what the warranty is on these scopes but SWFA stands behind them 100%.

They've always been great to deal with and I go back to them time and time again.

Now, with that said I will confess that I will be selling both of my Super Sniper 10x scopes. Reason: For target shooting and long range medium/large game hunting, these scopes ROCK! But, since I made the switch to varmint and predator hunting, they will not work for me. All the prairie dogs I've seen are beyond 250 yards and they are "tiny"! So, I need a higher magnification. All the coyotes and foxes are under 50 yards; I need a lower magnification. This is what I'm faced with in Arizona. So, they won't work for me any longer.

I just purchased a Vortex 6-24x50 mil-dot scopes for my AR-15 "prairie dog" Varminter and Savage .308 tactical. Also, a Pentax 4-12x44 BDC for my AR-15 "coyote" M4.

Of course, I went back to SWFA because those guys ROCK!

Now, I need to sell these Super Sniper scopes before my credit card statement shows up, or my wife will be MAD! LOL.

Thanks Guys I will strongly look at these suggestions...
I'll probably wait till the end of feb now..
I might even can go to the 600 range by then
for I'm in no hurry...I think I'm pointed in the right direction......

and to Snipedu1st Just buy her a diamond now...

I'll add another option to your list. Let me start by saying I like the super sniper from SWFA. One of the tactical guys I used to shoot with had one. They track well and for the money the glass is ok. What I didn't care for was the adjustments are a little mushy, still tracks though. I have purchased several scopes from SWFA and they are great!

I ended up going with a Falcon Menace. Now if you can get over the name, there not bad. Same price point as the SS. They're tubes are made in China. I preferred the MP 16 reticle over the mildot offered by SS, esentially hash marks at half mill and full mil incriments. I prefer FFP for the variable scope also. I now have two and am in the process of buying another.

Another good option for a straight 10X is the 3200 Bushnell Elite. I think the glass is better than Menace or SS. They are 1" tubes as well so you may be able to use some rings you have on hand already, and you should have enough internal adjustment inside of 700 yrds.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: Snipedu1stNow, with that said I will confess that I will be selling both of my Super Sniper 10x scopes.[/b] Reason: For target shooting and long range medium/large game hunting, these scopes ROCK! But, since I made the switch to varmint and predator hunting, they will not work for me. All the prairie dogs I've seen are beyond 250 yards and they are "tiny"! So, I need a higher magnification. All the coyotes and foxes are under 50 yards; I need a lower magnification. This is what I'm faced with in Arizona. So, they won't work for me any longer.

I just purchased a Vortex 6-24x50 mil-dot scopes for my AR-15 "prairie dog" Varminter and Savage .308 tactical. Also, a Pentax 4-12x44 BDC for my AR-15 "coyote" M4.

Of course, I went back to SWFA because those guys ROCK!

Now, I need to sell these Super Sniper scopes before my credit card statement shows up, or my wife will be MAD! LOL.

That's why i always suggest puchasing a mil-dot optic where the mil is calibrated for a power lower than the highest. I've shot PD's with an XP-100 handgun out to 500 yds. with my 6-18x Nikon Buckmasters where the mil is calcd. for 12x. At 18 it's 66% of 3.6 IPHY or 2.4 IPHY and the dot is now a 1/2" instead of 3/4th's.

Back