One Stand and a Couple of Firsts

Webopper

With the windy weather and full moon a couple days ago, I wasn't holding out much hope for calling anything in today, so I decided to make it more of a scouting day. Figured if I got to the place I wanted to go I'd make a couple stands just to see.

Well, I tried all the access roads that were fairly close to where I wanted to be, and for different reasons, they were closed or inpassable. I decided if I was going to get into my new area, I was going to have to take the long way, so I did a 180 and headed back the way I came, a bit bummed I couldn't get to where I wanted to an easier way.

Well, as I'm doing all this driving, I notice the wind has settled down a bit. I decided to make a stand just see how things might turn out. I loaded up the ladder, e-caller, and rifle and did my quarter mile trek to a spot that looked good. Wind in the face, wash to my left, and open desert to my right with some alfalfa and cut cotton further up. I set up the ladder then run the caller out 75 yards or so upwind. Get back and get settled onto the ladder. Get the Scorpion going with some LuckyBird, and about 3 minutes into the calling, it quits...[beeep]! I hadn't really planned on calling today and figured if I did, I would hand call so I didn't think about charging up the Scorpion. About then is when I realized I should have brought my lanyard and hand calls with me to the stand (left them in the truck). Oh wait, I did put my pleated woodpecker in my pocket.

I slowly stand up, on the ladder mind you, and begin reaching into my pocket for the call. This is about the time I catch movement to my left coming out of the wash. Oh [beeep], there's a coyote right there. I slowly sit back down and watch as he slowly makes his was from the wash to the caller. Right in from of me, about 60 out, he stops...for good.

Okay, so now my mind is racing with all this post-hunt stuff. I realize this is my first kill from on top the ladder, and I'm sitting there thinking about the whole "leave the e-caller running" thing, and how good the view was from the ladder and making sure the coyote is really down for good, when all the sudden, his buddy comes out of the wash. Trots right by and heads a little quicker to the caller. I bark him to a stop just before he gets to the caller, and just like that, I have my first solo double.

So, first stand of the day, first ladder kill, first solo double. Oh yea, and I never got to the area I was trying to be, but I'm okay with that...interesting the way things work out sometimes.

1204091229a.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ladder killin' buddy. Wish I woulda been out there with you. Heck of drive from here though. We will have to get together again, and see if we can't put some more down. Congrats again.

Well done! I quit calling this a.m. after three stands because of the wind and as soon as I got back to the truck it quit blowing like you said.

I have seen people bowfishing on ladders in a stream but never seen anyone use one for coyotes, well done.

Yay Brian!!! Ya did good buddy. I am glad your unplanned, makeshift, throw caution to the wind stand produced not only one dog, but two! And you killed em both! Kewl! And congrats on the ladder too!

P

Chad - holler at me if you are back up this way, we'll get out.

Josh - I'm gonna say things picked up after you quit...LOL. I didn't do that stand until right at noon.

Mike and others - yea, I'm becoming a fan of the ladder. It totally opens up areas for you and changes your perspective/vision. Works very well in some of my areas.

Originally Posted By: gripdogMaybe I'll have to invest in a ladder.
Congrats!Mike

I'm there with you Mike. I think that calling from a ladder in thick brush would be more successful - I don't know how many yotes I didn't see when out with a my 12 gauge because of the limited view and we can't always find elevated terrain to call from.
I have done all the research on ladder hunting and think that it is time to get out and do it!

Congrats on the Double - Great play by play. It must have been like experiencing that first rush all over again.

Awesome ladder! My buddy and I made some sweet camo ladders about 7 years ago and they have sat in my garage since. Seeing your post has inspired me and I think I will take them out when I go hunting on Monday morning. 2 sweet camo ladders, carefully aged 7 years, sounds like a recipe for success. Thanks for the post!

great job man! glad you were able to put it all together! those are two good looking coyotes. good shooting. thanks for posting your pics and story. i've been flirting with using a ladder for a year or so now. haven't tried it yet but i'm really interested in it. i'm thinking it would work well in some of the thick brush we hunt here in alabama. great post!

Great story. I love the picture of coyotes hanging on a ladder. We predator hunters are an amazing lot, we'll haul a ladder way off the beaten path just to kill coyotes!
crazy.gif

Now that's what I call perseverance!
thumbup1.gif

Thanks guys...appreciate that!!!

Cody, thanks for the nomination...lots of great predator hunting stories out there right now, honored to just be recognized with them.

Back