anybody got a Kimber 223?

I almost bought one, but was afraid. Seems they are hit or miss. Some hunters love them, but many hate them because of faulty craftsmanship and poor accuracy. They aren't cheap either.

I bought a new Kimber Longmaster Classic 223 last year and it initially shot 2-3" groups @ 100 yds and this was achieved by trying numerous handloads. I eventually sent it back to Kimber and they recrowned the barrel and I now get 1" @ 100yds whichs may not sound that great but I get sub MOA from 200 to 500 yds shooting 50gr vmax over RL10x. It also appears to be shooting a little better each time I shoot paper which indicates that the barrel is taking a long time in achieving its best accuracy. And yes, the Kimbers are definately hit or miss. I also own a Kimber 8400 300 WSM and it shoots great. If I were looking to buy a Kimber I would certainly buy new rather than used.

I've owned 3 kimber varmint rifles and retain one. The one I retain is the .22-250 varmint and will shoot .5 MOA with 55 vmax handloads. I had to open the barrel channel myself because the barrel was contacting the stock and work the trigger. The other 2 (.204 pro varmint and a .22-250 classic) would not shoot 2 moa consistantly, had poor extraction, and triggers that needed work. Everytime I see a kimber on the shelf I think they are beautiful guns then I think what a shame that this american company can't seem to get it right on these rifles. I would by one of the new remington XCR compact tactical rifles (quality stock, sweet trigger, other upgrades) if you want to spend about the same as a kimber or a tikka if you want to spend less. just my opinion.

Also, shop around if you want a kimber. I frequently see them at under $1000 on sale. I bought my .22-250 new at sportsmans warehouse for $799. It makes me cringe to think paying $1200 or more for one of these. Don't let the beauty lure you unless you worry more about how it looks than how it functions.

It is almost a given that you will need to free float the barrel yourself which is not difficult to do but is sad when considering that you pay $1K+ for a rifle and you need to finish the job yourself. They are beautiful rifles but looks ain't everything.

I chose the pro varmint after shooting my buddies, the weight is perfect, as well as the balance, trigger is awesome, and will shoot .25-.50MOA all the time (the most accurate rifle i have shot). I have MANY guns of other brands and it is by far my favorite, you cant find a better calling rifle.

I have one, but haven't even fired it yet. I hope to remedy that soon.

montana3.jpg

I own two Kimber rifles and have shot several others and all shoot very well (easily sub-MOA). I just haven't seen the plethora of problems with Kimber's everybody likes to talk about. Spending $1100 on a rifle really isn't that much, especially when a Remington VS SF II or Sendero are in the same price range or more. I have owned/shot more Remingtons that needed work to get them to shoot than Kimbers.

Quote:It is almost a given that you will need to free float the barrel yourself

I have to dispute that opinion.

Timber, in the past 18 months I have handled over 25 Kimber 84M and 8400 (wood) and well over half had wood contacting the barrel. Kimber is aware of this and states that it will not affect accuracy (not true). The latest sporting goods store that is no longer going to be carrying the Kimber rifles because of poor QC is Scheels in Great Falls. I could give more personal examples if neccassary.

P.S. I like the Kimber Rifles as a whole but they currently have a few issues.

Originally Posted By: BusterI have one, but haven't even fired it yet. I hope to remedy that soon.

montana3.jpg

Dude.....that is wrong on soooooo many levels. (grin)

Originally Posted By: brdeanoOriginally Posted By: BusterI have one, but haven't even fired it yet. I hope to remedy that soon.

montana3.jpg

Dude.....that is wrong on soooooo many levels. (grin)

How so?...

Back