Michigan Predator Hunting

Andy Kruskamp

I got into coyote hunting last year but haven't had any luck--haven't even called any in.

My grandpa own's about 1,000 acres dead center of the Lower Peninsula and there's an abundance of coyotes. Seems like their population has spiked the past few years. I use a FoxPro Fury GX7.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from successful Michigan predator hunters. I'm pretty ignorant of mostly all information dealing with predator hunting.

I'm on Winter Break until January 3rd and will be out as much as possible.

I'd like to know what calls are good this time of year; what terrain is best to hunt (open field, swamp, etc.); and any other helpful tips.

Thanks!

Hey Andy! Welcome to Predator Masters...I know we got a bunch of Michigan predator hunters on here, maybe they will chime in...

Chad

Welcome to PM Andy!
I was through Michigan this past summer in mid August. From Dundee to Mackinaw by way of 23 and 75 which is what, roughly 300 miles? I counted 13 dead coyotes on the road. That's an average of 1 coyote every 23 miles or so. If you don't have any luck calling, get you a good brush guard on the front of your truck and a full tank of gas!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: hillbilly1Welcome to PM Andy!
I was through Michigan this past summer in mid August. From Dundee to Mackinaw by way of 23 and 75 which is what, roughly 300 miles? I counted 13 dead coyotes on the road. That's an average of 1 coyote every 23 miles or so. If you don't have any luck calling, get you a good brush guard on the front of your truck and a full tank of gas!
lol.gif

ROFL. Thats just hilarious.

--And thanks for the welcomes fellas.

Im from michigan too!I live in holland, so If you ever want to join me on a few hunts, PM me!
Also, it might be tough hunting the times you are talking.Deer season is still going on, guns being shot, alot of coyotes have been seen but also been shot, or shot at by people I know.Might make them hold up just like deer do, but Im not sure..
You gotta remember to switch up calls every now and then. We all get used to the Cottontail distress, but the first time you call one in with that call and you either A- Kill it, or B- Miss it or just plain screw up or dont get a shot..Either will MOST likely be the last time that coyote is called in with that same sound.They arent stupid.

I'm also a bit of a novice at this. i've been doing it on and off for probably four or five years and i've had some success.

I'm not gonna lie, it is tough. don't be afraid to try different sounds and be creative. ALWAYS do everything to remain concealed, and that includes in terms of sound, scent, and sight. coyotes in Michigan are very wise to the ways of man and will pick up on anything that doesn't seem right.and the foxes sure ain't slouches either.

shoot me a pm sometime. i'm always happy to meet fellow callers!

I'm new to the coyote game in MI; I've passed up countless coyotes sitting deer blinds and figured I would dedicate my efforts this winter to hunting a new game. PM has a ton of great advice, I'll be going through the trial and error method of figuring out what works here in MI.

Set up looking down wind. Mi yotes will go out of their way to get down wind of the call.

Mid Jan - mid Feb are the best times to call . They will be most active during mating season.

Good luck and keep at it. I've heard/read 1 yote in 30 stands is about average for Mi.

Cover ..the thicker the better. As long as you can get in quiet.

Back