The Stands Get Real Interersting Sometimes ~pics~ long

rockinbbar

We went to help out with deer season in Texas and I got to do some hunting in the few moments that it wasn't snowing, or having 75 mph winds.

I think the weather contributes hugely to the reactions of not only pradators, but all wildlife. It was interesting seeing their patterns change & waver.

FIRST I had to sight-in a new Weaver Tactical scope.
Not a bad group.

SDgroup.jpg

Especially from the hood...
wink.gif

SDWeaver.jpg

Made a couple of stands that day.

BByote-1.jpg

busteryote3.jpg

Now here's ONE of the interesting stands...

I was calling in pretty thick mesquite, standing up with the long sticks, and at about 8 minutes into the stand comes a bobcat....NO...TWO bobcats! They were both big males, and were side by side together as they came in.
I took the one closest to the caller with a heart shot at about 40 yards. They both wheeled and left, with the shot cat leading they way. He didn't get far, and the the other cat wasn't really beating a hot trail to get out of there, but the brush was thick enough to not afford me another shot, so I had to settle for the one.
frown.gif

It's not real common down here to call two cats at one stand together.

bustercat.jpg

He was a big cat too. Tipped the scales at 27 pounds.
I think I like that new scope! I KNOW I like that Specialized Dynamics upper.
wink.gif

SDcar.jpg

All in all, even though the weather had cleared up, it was a so-so day at calling.

The next day turned out better with productive stands in the morning and evening both.
smile.gif

cont...

It started at about 9:30 when I got out to a ranch that was having trouble with coyotes around the ranch house. I concentrated my efforts on that area.

The first couple of stands were productive. But, I was hunting by myself, as Barbara was doing other things at the ranch.
well, I had Buster along as always...you just can't get in the truck without him riding shotgun....
laugh.gif

busterhunt.jpg

He likes to pose for pictures too...(He won't hold the camera steady enough when he takes mine with coyotes, so, I have to take a pic of HIM.
grin.gif

busteryote5.jpg

busteryote7.jpg

During the mid-day slump, it was exactly that. Not much activity.
it picked up again in late afternoon & we managed some more.

busteryote6.jpg

busteryote8.jpg

busteryote1.jpg

busteryote2-1.jpg

THEN comes the NEXT interesting stand!

I had set up about a mile south of the ranch house that was having trouble....Standing again, as it's flat and brushy.
As I work the call I see movement to my left at about 450 yards...LOTS of movement.
I crank up the scope to see what all that's about....It's coyotes. LOTS of them. There appear to be SIX coyotes coming in...But then as I was watching one coyote just PLOWS into another, and the rest to them jump that coyote too!

I mean this was one big dogfight!

Then they all kinda broke up and continued their course into the stand....(About 300 yards now)
Then they all dogpile that coyote again, and the dogfight starts all over, with coyotes ducking and running and attacking the one coyote.
(See? I told you this was getting interesting...)

But wait. It gets even better...
wink.gif

As I was watching the second coyote fight with the six coyotes, I catch meovement to my right at 2 o'clock.
It's another coyote...(that's number seven) And he's 50 yards from the caller and closing fast.
I repositioned my rifle and beared down on him...only he wasn't STOPPING. He leaped off the ground and bit the Fury that was perched in a mesquite about 5 feet off the ground.
shocked.gif

As the Fury and the coyote fell to the ground, I had him in my sights and hit him...

I went right away to the Ki-Yi, hoping to get some more action from the six coyotes that were so entertaining...I saw a few movements from thick brush at about 200 yards, but nothing came in. Perhaps they were still chasing that unfortunate coyote that was the brunt of all their anger...??

Buster thought it was strange that the coyote knocked the caller out of the tree, and had to go "check on it"...

busterscene.jpg

This was the coyote that I shot as he fell with the caller from the tree. He made it a few steps but not many...

piebald-1.jpg

continued...again.

Last edited:
I made some more stands before dark. Not anymore dry ones either.

SDWeaver3.jpg

busteryote4.jpg

It got to getting dark, and we decided that was enough for the day. I had the coyotes gathered on top of the truck, but one was shy, I guess, and fell off somewhere back down the road at a bump, so he didn't get his picture made.
laugh.gif

bustertruck2.jpg

busteryotes.jpg

As a side note, that coyote that left a mark on the caller was also a very light red color. All of him was the same red color..even the toes and his nose. Possibly a bit of albinism, or piebald?

Not a bad day at 7 coyotes, but it could have been better if there weren't a few hours of nothing moving during the mid day slump.

The natives were happy to see the coyotes gone....

wildcow.jpg

She doesn't look too happy, but she is.

If any of you have seen coyotes attacking another on the way in to the stand, I'd like to hear of that too.

Pretty interesting sometimes.

Thanks for looking!

Barry

Great story Barry. I've seen coyotes racing and nocking each other out of the way while charging in, but never break into a fight. Very cool to witness.

PS. You need to get someone to weld you up a fur basket to slide into that Reese hitch. Save the paint on the roof.
smile.gif

Good calling my friend.

Tony

I can weld the basket, I just need to get my welder wired in here at the new place.
grin.gif

That way those coyotes riding on top won't get camera shy & hop off at the roughest gulley.

i could wire the welder in but better leave the welding to you.
wish i'd get some days like that here.
the new 270 is batting 1000 on called coyotes still though.
all that have came that she barked at never left.
she might just be a life long partner.
i gotta get busy on my 243 and get her facelift done.
243 is the right coyote rifle but the 270 is doing a fine job of filling in in her absence.
tell buster hi from that wyoming guy he met in colorado.

I'll give him a pat on the head for you, Casey!

Glad the .270 is knockin' 'em down for you.
That has a lot to do with the SHOOTER too, you know.
Keep up the good work!

Barry

Dang Barry. It don't get much better than that. Sounds like you and Buster had some great stands and witnessed some pretty neat things. Things you'll probably never see again.

Thanks for sharing.

As usual Barry, very good shooting and very awesome writeup. I would say unequivocally that your day was, by anyone standards, AWESOME! And as Lance says, that picture of the pooch on the seat is hilarious!

Barry, I had a similar incident a few weeks ago when I took my younger brother out for his first time calling coyotes. Although they never fought or singled one coyote out, they were snapping and growling at each other. Very interesting, glad you had a good time looks like you did very well. I will need that luck next weekend.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSVery exciting day, good job. Does your dog go out and lure the coyotes back or does he sit by you?

Buster sits beside me on the stand.

He will go out if I send him, but that is pretty rare. Only in cases where a coyote runs through the stand unexpectedly, and then he'll circle and come back, hopefully leading a coyote to it's demise.
wink.gif

I also send him out on downed coyotes. Even if the fall DRT, I'll get on the Ki-Yi & if other coyotes are in vacinity, they see Buster over their buddy, or mate, and come in for a closer evaluation of the situtation, or revenge, and it affords me shots at coyotes I would not get otherwise.
This comes in REAL handy when they are paired up and you can call the mate back into the stand with Busters' visual help.

Buster also will hold a wounded coyote at bay until you can get there to finish the job humanely. He used to try & kill them himself, but I've taught him not to... some of them are real "salty", and I think too much of him to get him bitten.

Here's one that was VERY salty.

madyote.jpg

And this is what Buster does...He just won't let them leave.

busterbay-1.jpg

Buster is also excellent at tracking the animals through dense brush. Even heartshot they are tough and can run a ways before falling. So, Buster earns his keep by having afforded us the luxury of no lost animals at all. He finds 'em all.

Barry

Great story and excellent pics, makes me feel like I was there.

That's sure a good looking hunting companion you got there. I like to take my Jack Russell with me calling if I could teach her to sit still but Jacks are really hyper.

Back