I Love this Scope!

rockinbbar

I just got one of the new Weaver Tactical scopes.

Mounted it and was ready to go. It's a 30mm tube, so I unlatched the LaRue Mount from my Specialized Dynamics rifle and went with the stock risers & high rings until my new LaRue 30mm mount gets here.
smile.gif

The thing about this scope that's amazing is the power adjustment for it's size. It's not much bigger than my Leupold 3-9x40 that I took off...I think it's 3/4 of an inch longer, and perhaps a few onces heaver.

SDWeaver.jpg

The thing I found most valuable about the scope is the Focal Plane Reticle.
wink.gif

THAT is most ingenious!

To put it in simple terms, if you are on 3 power and looking through the reticle at a 1 inch bullseye, you can still see the bullseye well enough to get the crosshairs inside the bullseye. Like any other scope, right?

Until you zoom up the power...
smile.gif

With this scope, when you zoom the power up, the reticle gets larger and bolder progressively. WITHOUT losing any target area. You can still see the same amount of bullseye that you did when the crosshairs were hair thin. That's because as you zoom, the reticle maintains the same focal plane you had at lower powers.

This group was shot off the hood of my truck at 100 yards.

SDgroup.jpg

The Weaver has tacical turrets with 1/4" MOA clicks, so after I shot that group I made a click to the left, and was dead center at an inch high at 100 yards. That's where I left it.

The glass is superb!

I could see the ragged edges of my bullet holes at 100 yards through the scope. Pretty amazing considering my age and eyesight now...I have to wear reading glasses for computer work or reading a menu now.
frown.gif
So, the focus feature was excellent. I only had to set the rear focus once.

The side focus for different yardage on the left side of the scope easily dials in your yardage.

With the true MilDot reticle, it should be a great long-range rifle as well. I know I have high hopes for it.
I'll have to post what it'l do at long range once I get that chance.

Oh yeah, how's it do while hunting with it?

EXCELLENT!

SDcar.jpg

SDWeaver3.jpg

SDWeaveryote2.jpg

BByote-1.jpg

jake.jpg

That last pic is PM member daisy2007. (Great guy)

I don't know how many of you hunt with the more compact "tactical" scope, but they are NICE! Especially when you get one like this Weaver.

I was a Leupold man myself, but here lately what I had on my rifles was paling in comparison to this Weaver. I'm impressed with the guys at Weaver. Very innovative!

If you have any comments or questions, I'd love to have them here.

Barry

Mine is a 3-15x50 on a 30mm tube.

They start at about $750 retail. Which is less than half of the cost of some other brands of tactical scopes. Definately a "high-end" scope, though, as far as quality & clarity of the glass.

First focal plane reticles are nothing new to the riflescope world. It's too bad that Weaver didn't actually make their named 'tactical scope' ideally suited for 'tactical' shooting, since the turret adjustments do not match the reticle's subtensions...

Weaver really dropped the ball on this optic, IMHO. They'd really have a hit on their hands with real 'tactical' shooters if they went with .1mil turret adjustments at that price point. Even better yet if Weaver had designed their own mil based reticle with smaller mrad subtensions...

Oh well.

As for a hunting optic, I can't see any benefit to the 'tacticality' of this scope. Hold offs and hold overs won't be very precise with a traditional mil-dot reticle. And again, the turrets speak a different language than the reticle is talking, so the shooter would need to convert mils to MOA on the fly to correct for a shot. Hardly ideal for using the optic in a 'tactical' capacity for a hunting scenario...

If the Weaver glass is good and it holds zero well, it should serve nicely as a 'point-n-shoot' hunting optic. But no better than a more simply designed 'hunting' optic with similar glass...

SSHHHHHH!!!!! Don't tell everyone about Weaver scopes. I bought three of em last year when Natchezz was blowing the classic extremes out. Gave one to my dad and stuck one on my CZ 17hmr and have one that is waiting on my DTECH 204.......Come on DTECH send me my 204 PLEEEAAASSSSSEEEEE!!

Fred, I know you are into the tactical stuff more than me.

The focal plane is new to the Weaver line up, and I can't step up to the plate for a NightForce just yet..well, at least in my mind I can't...
wink.gif

The Mil Dot instructions has simple conversions already done up for you, plus a graphics sheet on the reticle that allow for pretty quick conversion to feet or inches, inches or yards, or centimeters or meters.

While I deal with tenths all day long in my line of work, I guess my old training still kicks in at "yards" so I'm kinda glad that is how I'm thinking and clicking too.

Krakkon, it looks like 15 moa per rev to me.

I hear ya, Barry. I've always heard/read rave reviews from users of Weaver products and would most likely already be shooting through one myself if not for the turret issue on their newest offering...

Although I like & shoot 'tactical' gear on some of my hunting sticks, I'll be the first hunter to point out that all the 'tactical' bells & whistles are absolutely unnecesary to kill a coyote at normal calling distances. But,when one hangs up @ 500yds+, well, that's another story...
wink.gif

I'm sure the Weaver glass is very nice and the scope will perform admirably as a hunting optic. The issue with the scope I was addressing was that the 'tactical' label just doesn't seem to really fit. Many shooters out there truly wish Weaver thought this product out a little better before its release...

I see what you are saying.

I, too want the capability to hit those "barkers" out there at past 400 as well. Get's 'em out of the mix.
thumbup1.gif

I've got to go out and get some rangetime at longrange and see how the mildot really equates.

Rockibbar, I have been a fan of the 1st focal plane scopes for sometime. First became aware of them from Simmons when both Simmons & Weaver were owned by Blount. This was about 15 to 20 years ago. They were first the Simmons V-tac then became the Weaver V-Tac next the Weaver Tactical. These were all 1 inch tubes then they dropped them for about 3 years and now are back as Weaver Tactical in 30MM tubes & 5x zoom factor. I have about 23 of Simmons v-tac - 5 Weaver v-tac- 9 of older weaver tacticals + 2 of the 30MM scopes. The glass in all these may be one of the better kept secrets around. Will try to include some pictures if smart enough. Heck
IMG_0636.jpg

older Simmons
IMG_0635.jpg

Changed to Weaver v-tac
IMG_0634.jpg

changed to weaver tactical
now a couple of the newer tacticals from Weaver
IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Now boxes showing progession from bottom to top
IMG_0630.jpg

I would tell anyone who can find any of these you should jump on them as the glass is unbelievable for these brands.

Back