Primos Power Dogg caller...Disappointed

Went out to do some calling last night with my new caller, which I was only 70 yards away and plus the wind was blowing from my back which wasnt great for yote hunting but worth a try... But the remote couldnt even reach it very well, took a couple minutes to respone to the unit and plus not loud at all! Should of spent the extra money on a foxpro, lol....

Jim,
With gov't restrictions on radio communication, unless you go to the FHSS type radio callers, that are more money, they all kinda have that problem.

What you might do is try to elevate the caller. Either put it in a tree, bush or something to get it off the ground. That helps the radio communication, plus, it allows the sound to carry further from the caller when it's off the ground.

Won't hurt to try....

Barry

Thanks for the input, I will try that next time but mostly I hunt soy or corn bean fields. Do you know how far a foxpro can reach from remote to the unit?

I bought one. Remote worked perfect in the house. Didn't work at all in the field. Took it back to Gander, got another and it didn't work any differently. A friend gave me a different remote and it still didn't work properly. Took it back to Gander again and bought a Foxpro. Coulda/shoulda saved the 5 extra steps and just bought the American made caller to begin with.

Yeah thats where I bought mine at, they had that sell on turkey day and couldnt pass it up, the sound of it is real clear but not loud enough so I might take it back if they give me money back...

On a 6 foot fence post with clear line of sight my FX5 works at 300+ yards. I think back when I tested it I made it 348 lasered yards before I got cold and quit walking farther away.

t/c223encore.

I came really close to getting the Power Dogg...then read some reviews and looked on here...then was gonna get a Johnny Stewart PM4...read some more reviews....i ended up with a Fox Pro Spitfire...got it the first part of this week...played with it some in the house..love it so far...gonna take it outside tonight and see how far it will reach or how far i want to walk LOL
so far im glad i went with the FP

Yeah I know FoxPro is top of the line and that is pretty far yardage! Yeah that spitfire looks very nice to have, maybe next year, spent a little to much money on hunting stuff the year...I will give the power dogg a few more chances, have only used it twice so far...

I used my power dogg yesterday and it seems like the radio signal keeps getting weaker and weaker even with new batteries. I ended up sitting about thirty ft from the caller. I took mine apart last night and it looks like a longer antenna wouldnt be hard to add to the unit.

Dad got a Spitfire, Aftwer getting it out and using it a couple stands I wouldn't have a problem leaving my FX5 at home and let dad use the Spitfire again. In fact I think I'll be leaving it home more often, it was nice doing nothing but holding my rifle and waiting
laugh.gif

t/c223encore.

Before I got a foxpro, I was using a powerdogg.... started to set off the ground when possible (on a stump, hung in tree,etc)and close to line of sight if possible....seemed to help slightly with range. In the open fields it did well, past a hundred yds....in the hardwoods though, sometimes it would only work about 25yds.
Would also turn everything on, make sure I could remotely change the sounds before leaving the caller unit.

I had a Power Dog, rechargable batteries wouldn't fit in the battery cases, had to take the batteries out of both the unit and the remote to pack in my fanny pack because otherwise the crappy little on/off buttons always got turned on, I got about a hundred yards the first time I used it, the second time it was sitting on a fence post and I was standing forty yards away and it wouldn't change sounds, I gave it an honest try, but after the remote worked fine at two feet but quit at three feet I put the caller on a fence post and blew it into several pieces of crappy green plastic. You could say I was unimpressed, and my opinion of Primos has changed considerably- I won't buy Primos anything now.
mad.gif

i agree on the remote..and if your batteries didnt fit they were probably swollen from over charging...i have to admit
i owned one..the remote didnt work so great so they sent me 2 free remotes..it worked to 50 yards...but i will say one thing the call sounds worked...we had yotes come in the first night..
and many guys are killin yotes off of the powerdogg...
but i agree its not loud..

which is good for some areas....

most places guys crank there call up full blast and educate more than kill...

like i said i give it a 3 on remote issues....but the sounds would be a 10....only because of the producing properties of the 12 or 14 calls that are on it...

its built sturdy for the 99 dollars i paid..if they ever get the remote issues worked out..

Last edited:
I though the battery fit problem was the batteries too, bought new name brand batteries, same problem. New non-rechargable batteries were the same, one battery case they'd fit if you pushed them in hard enough, the other one you had to push just one in to get it to contact. I had multiple problems with the remote and the range, line of sight didn't make much difference either.I wouldn't have been as disappointed if it was a $100 caller, up here it cost me just over $250.

Last edited:
Yeah well I found out one problem, the remote controller where the atenna is, you can actually pull it out, which helped out alot! Wish I knew that before I went out few other times before! And also it really helped out also by putting it up on a fence post. Only been able to call in crows and hawks so far, lol....

haha I have the power dogg and was going to ask if you pulled the antena out on the remote. Because i went out on three different stands before I figured that out and was just about to take a trip to gander to bring it back and my buddy pointed that out. Needless to say it made calling a little bit nicer.

Back