He's Hooked!

STS

Yesterday I was finally able to get everything to come together, and I was able to take my son out for the first time this year. We rolled out of bed at 0445 and made the drive to Eastern Washington. After a couple of stops, I was so busy making sure that my son had all of his gear that I forgot my boots, we were at the first stand around 0850. It was a perfect stand. We were able to approach a very large sage basin completely unseen. There was very little if any wind and pretty cold, at least for Washington, about 15 degrees. There were tracks everywhere so I knew we would see some action.
We set out the cs-24 around fifty yards. We quickly discussed how to move when we need to itch our noses or how to adjust our sitting position. I started the sequence with my favorite, Lightning Jack, and I immediately caught sight of a coyote on a dead run across the basin. He was an easy 1200 yards away and coming on a string. It was perfect. I had plenty of time to get my son onto the yote. he couldn't believe how fast he was covering the ground. At about 500 yards he dropped out of sight due to terrain, and I was able to reposition for the shot. He popped up at about 200 yards or so and he stopped at 164 yards. I was shooting my AR15 in .223 today, and the Blackhills 60 grain Vmax finished the job. Immediately after my shot I could hear two shots from my right. My son " finished him off" with his Cabela's side by side cap shotgun. He's been using it as a trainer for firearm safety. Anyway, here he is with his first yote! A big male that probably ran about 30 lbs.
HuntwHenry4.jpg

We made a few more stands yesterday in areas with a ton of sign. But being a weekend, there were a bunch of fellows out chukar hunting. So we were unable to draw anything else into our stands. But we sure had a great time together. By the way, he slept all the way home, and when we walked into the house he ate three bowls of mom's stew...I had two.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My children are all grown now but they still like to talk about the times they went hunting with dad.You will never regret taking your son along on any hunt.Sounds like you have a great hunting buddy.

Great story and even greater photo. Don't be claiming your son's dog, he double tapped it with his cap gun. You most likely missed completely. That's the way the story pans out when I hunt with my son. Hope the two of you share many more hunts together. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Gents! It was a great time.

ElkDog, When we were skinning that yote out. My son stated, " we are splitting this one, right? How much do you think will get for it? Make sure you don't get it mixed up with Your coyotes..." LOL!!!

I just hope I can find someone to buy my hides this year. I case skin everything and I have them all in the freezer. Back in Minnesota, I could sell hides in the green. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same out here.

Back