Savage 14 Am Classic vs Weatherby Vanguard

Howdy folks. First post, but I've been lurking for a while and seems like an informed bunch, so here goes.

Here's my dilemma. I'm in the market for a dual purpose rifle. I want a .243, my idea is that I can use it for coyote first and foremost and also for occasional prairie dog trips. I have other varmint caliber rifles so the "what caliber" question isn't the issue.

I've been looking mainly at the Savage 14 American Classic wood stock, blued barrel. I've heard great things about the out of box accuracy and the AccuTrigger. I really value a good trigger pull and I like the idea of ease of adjustment and the way the AT works.

My hangup is price. Currently, I'm being quoted $659 + tax for the Savage and it has to be ordered because no one locally carries it in .243.

So today the Cabelas ad comes out and they have a Weatherby Vanguard stainless for $489. I called around to the local shops and it turns out that's pretty close to the local shop's price, so I could get that rifle for right around $500 at several locations.

So what kind of a rifle is the Weatherby that they can offer stainless for that price? What's the accuracy and the trigger like?

Is the Savage that much better of a rifle? Is the AccuTrigger worth at least $159 more?

I know I'm covering a lot of ground here, but I'm getting cold feet because the Savage is starting to see a little overpriced unless I'm making apples-to-oranges comparison?

Feedback and opinions most welcome.

Thanks folks.

Grouse

I don't have any experience with the weatherby but I own 4 savages- MK II 22LR, Mod. 10 predator 223. Mod. 14 Amer. Classic 243, and Mod. 16fss 308. So I am a little prejudiced toward the savages. you might want to look at a different model other than the 14. they are beautiful rifles but the only reason I bought mine is I got it on clearance(go figure) at bass pro for $300.00.
One thing is for sure, you won't be disappointed in any of the savage models-very accurate rifles.

Well, I like the Accutrigger alot, easy to adjust. The Weatherby is a Howa, and usually needs work in the trigger dept. I have a Howa 1500 Varmint, and it has an aftermarket trigger. Its a Timney. So if all else is the same, it will depend upon your trigger finger, and what you want. Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Well, I like the Accutrigger alot, easy to adjust. The Weatherby is a Howa, and usually needs work in the trigger dept. I have a Howa 1500 Varmint, and it has an aftermarket trigger. Its a Timney. So if all else is the same, it will depend upon your trigger finger, and what you want. Good Luck.

Do you happen to know if the Weatherby has a trigger that can be adjusted by the owner? I understand most triggers can be adjusted by a gunsmith, I'm talking about a turn-of-screwdriver type adjustment.

Thanks.

Grouse

Welcome to the board Grouse!
smile.gif

Jack

Yes the trigger is adjustable. I have a Vanguard in .270 it very accurate and enjoyable to shoot. I dont care for the stock much I admit and would like to get another.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Well, I like the Accutrigger alot, easy to adjust. The Weatherby is a Howa, and usually needs work in the trigger dept. I have a Howa 1500 Varmint, and it has an aftermarket trigger. Its a Timney. So if all else is the same, it will depend upon your trigger finger, and what you want. Good Luck.

ornery beat me to it. if you can find a howa, you dont have to pay for the weatherby name. howas are good shooters.

I would much rather buy the Salvage over the Weatherby. I have 3 heavy barreled Salvages and all are excellent shooters with excellent triggers.

I would take the safe bet and go with the Savage.

Dunno..a +$150 spread is a lot..to me.

Think you'd be happy with either once you deal with the $150 part of the decision.

Not on point here but I'd like to try the new Savage AccuStock with their AccuTrigger. I own two(2) .243's- a Savage Weather Warrior and a Howa Varmint- had to have the Howa trigger done by local trigger wizard - $35 for 11 oz[strictly a bench rifle].

I came to .243's kind of late in life..great round,IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsWelcome to the board Grouse!
smile.gif

Jack

Thanks Jack. Very informative forum here.

Originally Posted By: UnkDunno..a +$150 spread is a lot..to me.

Not on point here but I'd like to try the new Savage AccuStock with their AccuTrigger. I own two(2) .243's- a Savage Weather Warrior and a Howa Varmint- had to have the Howa trigger done by local trigger wizard - $35 for 11 oz[strictly a bench rifle].

I came to .243's kind of late in life..great round,IMHO.

Yes, that's the thing, a 150 clams is no chump change to me and especially since, if I'm being honest, the .243 isn't going to see a huge amount of hunting action. It just struck me that the Savage was commanding a premium price and with the Accustock and AccuTrigger, maybe it's worth it. But maybe not. . .

I have an 06 for deer, I have a Contender with a .223 barrel and serious scope for handgunning varmints, and of course there's shotguns and .22 rimfires as well. I thought the .243 was a good compromise gun, varmint-ready, but also capable of taking deer.

Agree abou the 243, I'm seeing a lot of potential in thaat round. My boy is a little ways off from hunting, being 1 and all, but I was also thinking a nice light bolt action .243 would make a good starter deer rifle for him in about 10 years. Nice and light, easy to handle, and not a shoulder bruiser. I've seen a couple of kids at the range who were pounded to the point of tears by overzealous fathers who wanted them to shoot their first deer with Grandpa's Ol' Shoulder Tenderizer. Got me thinking that lighter, easier on the shoulder guns are probably a good idea.

This is going to be a tough one. I really like the looks of traditional wood stocks and blued guns, but the practical side of me says if there's a deal on stainless/synth stock, take it.

Grouse

I have two Vanguards,.308 Compact w/factory trigger and .270w/Timney. The Vanguards stock trigger can be adjusted, but doesn't equal the Timney. I had a Savage w/accu-trigger and liked it, the trigger does take a little to get used to, sold it because I like hinged floorplates. Vanguards are heavier, but I prefer their bolt. If it were me, I'd go Vanguard youth/compact in .243, comes with adult stock and youth stock. Handles very well.

Surpised none of the posters here has noted this:

The price difference is likely NOT due to the accutrigger...instead, it is due to a wood [beautiful walnut] stock vs. the vanguard's equally durable fiberglass [but not wood stock], AND the extra polishing to accomplish that great blue job on the AM 14.

You note you haven't actually seen the Savage 14, and you should at least handle one as well as the Weatherby, to compare.

I think the Savage 14 is the best looking rifle Savage has made since the 99 model.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .223 and it shoots great. But by the time you add a much needed aftermarket trigger (i went with the timney) you pretty much put your self into the next price bracket of selecting your rifle. I like everything about the Vanguard other than the trigger. I think i'll try give the savage a try next

Over The Years I Have Had a Lot O Fun Picking On Jap Built Guns , I Have a Buddy Who Bought a Weatherby 223 and He Was At the Range With Me, He Said Shoot My Gun So He Put Five Rounds In The Magizine , I Then Shot Five Shots at 100 Yards My Goodness Not Olny Did The Gun Feed Smooth as Butter It Shot a Five Shot Group That You could Cover Up With a Dime .
I Was Very Supprized I Do Like Savage Guns and I Have 20 Or 30 Of Them They Do Shoot But The Magizines are Not 1/2 as Good as That Weatherby And It Shot Very Good To , I Just Love all Guns Find a Friend Who has One and Shoot It I You Like It Buy Witch One That You Like The Most DD

You have to decide if you want pretty and usable or just usable. (I realize buetty is in the eye of...) Anyway, Savage's will shoot, no questions asked. Have shot a 14 classic in 7-08 and it is an excellent gun with a great feel. Have three other savages, and used to shoot another one(.243) all shoot under MOA. Brother had a howa in 22-250, excellent shooting gun as well. Is 150 bucks worth the added sex appeal, or do you just want a tool for the job?

I just picked up my 2nd Vanguard today.
The trigger is a lot better than the one I got a few years back.
I think the newer ones have got better triggers.
I only got to shoot 10 rounds with it today. The last 7 were inside a inch group.
I vote for the Vanguard.

Ron

Originally Posted By: FishJ3 You have to decide if you want pretty and usable or just usable. (I realize buetty is in the eye of...) Anyway, Savage's will shoot, no questions asked. Have shot a 14 classic in 7-08 and it is an excellent gun with a great feel. Have three other savages, and used to shoot another one(.243) all shoot under MOA. Brother had a howa in 22-250, excellent shooting gun as well. Is 150 bucks worth the added sex appeal, or do you just want a tool for the job?

That's a very good point. I'm not a gun swapper, so I don't buy anything just to try it out for a while and then sell it on. I've thought for years about a 243 so my thinking is that once I get it, I'll have it for a long, long time.

But at the same time, as Mrs. Grouse often says, I'm nothing if not cheap. It just kills me that the wood stock option is sooooo much more especially when I'm seeing stainless guns that are STILL going for less than a blued gun. That doesn't make sense to me, but it is what it is.

At this point I think I'm going to have to pry the extra $150 out of my wallet with a crowbar. Otherwise I'll regret it later when the gun costs even more.

When my boy is ready to hunt deer in about 10 years I'll proably buy a cheaper and lower power scope to mount on the gun during deer season and he can use the .243 as his rifle for the first few years. I think that would be a good compromise rifle, I've always hunted with pumps and autoloaders but for a new hunter I like the idea of a bolt action for safety.

Grouse

I've had 2 Howa rifles when they were labled S&W 1500. Very good shooters. I have 2 Savage actions, a model 11 & a model 12 with 8 differant barrels, sporter & heavy, that I swap out in 4 differant calibers, .223, .22/250, .243, & .308.
The Savage gets my nod for that reason. They are also 'SHOOTERS'.
Has anyone mentioned that the Howa is japanese?

Last edited:
I love my weatherbys I have them ranging from the .257 wtby to the 416wtby with the 30/378 wtby being my favorite. I love how smooth the action is, the short bolt lift and the accuracy of them. I have vanguards all the way to custom accumarks and all are great guns. I'm looking for a 204 ruger now in a SUB MOA

Back