Question for Postal Workers...

canislatrans54

This question is for all USPS workers...

Does the US Postal Service scan boxed parcels/packages with X-ray machines or metal detectors???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I'm trying to find out, in order to put a debate between my sons to rest.
One son thinks they do not, the other two think they do.
(Just to make it fair, I'm siding with the first son, I don't think they do use them.

Can anyone give me a definite yes/no, here?

I asked my "Mail Lady" about the "Scan Before Delivery" label on a package that I received and it's part of their Priority Mail/Express Mail delivery system....

I have a shooting buddy that hauls the mail between the mail handling depots and I'll ask him if it is a normal practice in there for contents, as opposed to the delivery tracking system..

I know that UPS used to call us once in a while when they detected a shipment of drugs going through their system...so we could make the delivery and make the case...
laugh.gif

To my knowledge NO, now that is unless its a suspect/suspicious package then its turned over to the postal inspectors, then they MAY have the police scan it.

I have never seen an xray machine in any postal center to date and have not heard of this at all myself. Ive been a carrier for 11 yrs.

OT, The scan before delivery is just barcode scanning, nothing more, NOT an xray scanner at all, it is just to track delivery dates & times for the customer.

Thanks for settling the debate!
That means that the one son & I were correct for a change.

The other two sons thought that sine 9-11 every kind of package that gets mailed...or sent via Fed Ex/UPS...were subjected to x-rays & metal detectors.

For sure UPS doesn't xray. That would mean they would have to be able to find the package first and that isn't likely to happen.
well unless they get it handed to them by USPS>
laugh.gif

Back