tips 2 keep calls from freezing

j8benson

what tips do you guys have for us in the freeze? open reeds are not that bad but my close reeds freeze up and i have to make more movement trying to unfreeze them. i could tuck them into my coat but then i'd have to fish them out to call. just wondering what tricks/tips you have. i fought it out last winter and now the colds really here and i want to have better luck with hand calls this winter. thanks jesse

they freeze up on me down here in alabama. don't see how you guys use em up north in the winter. i have to take along my ecaller when it gets cold. i need to learn to use open reeds.

Quote:That is why I dont use closed reeds.

+1

I just don't bother with the closed reeds when it's cold. All you're going to do is fight a losing battle. When the mercury drops below freezing the closed reeds go back in the call box.

Nate

Originally Posted By: reb8600That is why I dont use closed reeds.

Amen to that. There are a bunch of closed reed calls laying in various fields and windrows in Central Illinois from my temper, due to froze closed reed calls. I had not patience for it. That's the whole reason I started building my own calls in the first place.

Open reeds are the way to go.

Tony

I only have one closed reed call that I use in the winter.

-39F this morning and it is working fine. Of course if I take it outside it may not work as well.
laugh.gif

If anyone has put the closed reed to the cold weather challenge, it is me. It gets bone chilling cold here.
I have tried lots and lots of closed reeds. They are quick and easy, two qualities I find attractive in women and coyote calls.

The age old problem is freezing up or worse trying to keep them from freezing up without being too animated. I'm talking about the calls now.
grin.gif

I have found one closed reed call that doesn't freeze. The bonus is it's everything I look for in a call. Loud, raspy, easy to blow, bulletproof and as a bonus, easy on the eyes.

I got it from a custom call maker on this board. He didn't represent it as freezeproof and may have not even known that it was. I have no idea why it hasn't frozen up yet and can only guess.

I like the custom calls with the bells, turned thin. The walls of this call are thick. I would say very thick compared to my other calls. I don't know if that is why it works in the cold, I just know it is one of the calls on my "winter? lanyard and it is the only closed reed call I use anytime.

calls003.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old knight and hail call that I use all the time that rarely freezes, even in bone chilling -30 that we are having today.

I keep it on the dash between calls to let the heater get rid of any water that's still in the call. I find that even half way through the stand if it does get frozen a good burst will clear it out. I also tend to turn it around and breath into before a series just to thaw it out. Sounds harder then it is really.

Scotch makes a shacker type call that works extreemly well in the cold. And by squeezing the "tube" yoiu can get some sounds that are almost impossible to make with a mouth call.

Some one told me that if you put the stuff on your reed that keeps your window from freezing it will keep your reed from freezing. I think it is called Rain X and I don't remember who told me that. I would give em credit.

guess that gives me an excuse to buy more calls don't it, just hope the wife lets me.
i tryed rain x last winter but don't think it helped at all. didn't put alot on cause it's probably not the greatest for you.
thanks anyhow

Put one of those "snap-and-shake" hand warmers in your pocket. Keep the call in your pocket, next to the hand warmer, when not in use.

i take two of the same call put one in my pocket blow one one set when it freezes i grab the other and go back and fouth.
thats part of why i have so many of the same calls.
the other part is the tuning when one gets out of tune i can just grab the next one.
open reeds i bend or break reeds or lose them so i keep a couple of my favorites of them too.
i have called some real bad weather.

Learn to limit the spit. Spitters will find that they hate closed reed calls. They will freeze up no matter what but this will help. As others have said, let them thaw out between stands, but I found that throwing them up on the dashboard makes it worse. Really cold calls introduced to really warm heat will make condesation build up on the reed and actually make it worse. I guess if left up there long enough it would take the humidity out though.

If a call does freeze up turn it around a blow gentley back through to warm up the reed. Flip it around and continue. Open reeds definitely are less prone to freezing, but I enjoy the closed reed for certain sounds. IMO

Last edited:
I guided for ducks and geese and a fellow guide taught be a trick cover the inside of a book of matches with chapstic and
rub this under the ubder side of the reed and then the top of the reed the moister seams to glide off the reed preventing freezing! ....I told him that I was going to use it on my pred calls and he said if it is a metal reed squeeker tip call
use a couple drops of Break Free CLP when it is dry and warm!
......it works very well both of them.... hope this helps!
Jonathan

i'm gunna give that a shot jonathan, seems logical.

Foxpro- yes would love one, and gunna get one. hoping for xmas bonus from work.

and ya i'm a spitter, atleast i don't swallow. sorry i'm a perv. but ya i'm working on that.

J8benson I tried it last night with kiyi after reed treatment I dipped it in water and put it in the freezer for 1hr and re dipped it and put back in over night .....I was still able to annoy the heck out of my wife this morning if it gets colder then that I don't want to hunt lol

A good shot of everclear between series will keep the closed reeds clear and you should see the herd of coyotes that respond !!!!!!!!!!!
tt2.gif
Jim

Last edited:
Back