battery life on FX-3

rcm243

What is the expected run time on the fx-3? I put alkiline in my new fx 3 and they didn1t last but 7 stands of 10 to 15 minutes each, I`m going to get the nimh batteries that are rechargable,has anyone got any input on this? How long a run time time have some of you been getting?

I have the fx3 also and get good battery life out of the nimh batteries and can go all day..which for me is about five stands at 30 min a stand. I do have a external gel cell that I use also..that one will go full out for a week!!

Where would I get one of these gel cells? how big and how heavy are they? I`ve got a PM-4 and never have to change batteries from oct thru feb,I bought the Foxpro because of more sounds, now I`m wondering if its worth twice as much as the PM-4

AllPredatorCalls.com have them, as thats where I picked mine up. They are about the size of a motorcycle batt. and it comes in its own carrying case, guessing about two pounds total, I just carry in a fanny pack so the weight is not really noticeable. You could also look at the Foxpro site for it also.I had my doubts about spending that much money on my call..but after useing it and haveing my success go way up I'll never look back
smile.gif

If you can find the nimh 2600 buy them! I used to find them at Walmart in the camera section but they haven't carried them for the last 6 months. These will go all day. I even used them on a two day hunt without recharging them. About 8 to 10 stands each day and about 25-30 minutes each stand.

If you use rechargable batteries, when you first get them...charge them and then completely drain them and recharge them again before using them. this will help get the maximum capability out of them. It helps to have a battery tester, because when I pull them out of my fox pro several of the batteries will still have good charges and others are completely drained. So I have to drain those and then recharge all of them.

I have an NX3 and have called 5 stands of 20-30 min each and not run out. If I can, I'll use just the front speaker- read your manual on that. Manual also says you'll get short life with alkalines...

All good advice. I went to Radio Shack and for about $4 I got another battery holder. I keep an extra set of charged batteries in it. Im using an FX5. Just pull the battery pack out and switch them between stands. With 2 battery packs you can call for Hours. Another thing I was told from Foxpro is, the buisier the sound on the call is, the faster it uses the batteries.. Good luck.

Well it looks to me like Fox Pro needs to do some more engineering on their circuit boards if their calls have to be re-charged that often. I`m not really not too enthused about carrying a 3 pound battery every where I go. If Hunter Specialties can produce a call that will run from oct thru feb making 7 to 10 stands of 15 min. each and the batteries never go down, you would think Fox could do the same. Tomorrow will be a test run on some nimh that I got at Wally World, but I don`t know how many milliamps they are. I`ll have some 2600 ma. next week and maybe I`ll bo OK.

I have a Foxpro Fx3. The FX3 will scarf alkaline batteries and spit them out. Buy the Foxpro charger and the batteries that come with them and you save from not having to buy disposable batteries. Or walmart the eight recargeable AA with the charger. I use both now and never have a dead caller. I also call all day when I can, 15 to 20 minute stands, both speakers on.

Last edited:
i think it is funny how we all get drastically different results. i guess theres just 2 many variables. energizers work great for me.

Well another thing is that you are comparing different callers as well as different sounds. An FX5 with both speakers at full volumne last about 2 hours + or -continuious. Thats at least 8 15 min sets. With one speaker it about doubles, and thats 16 sets or more depending upon the selected call. These are my results. If Hunter specialties Callers work better for you then Id stick with them. For Me, I will stick with my Foxpro. Good luck.

try the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. one of the best you can get. I order mine through Amazon. They are worth the shipping, IMO.

I found a place on the web that has 2600 mha batteries and if you buy 16 you can get them for $1.30 each, that said I DON`T KNOW THE BRAND.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357All good advice. I went to Radio Shack and for about $4 I got another battery holder. I keep an extra set of charged batteries in it. Im using an FX5. Just pull the battery pack out and switch them between stands. With 2 battery packs you can call for Hours. Another thing I was told from Foxpro is, the buisier the sound on the call is, the faster it uses the batteries.. Good luck.

+1 on the second battery pack from radio shack. I actuall have 3. I steal my wifes older rechargable flash batteries (shes a professional photographer so there is plenty around). I usually try to use the 2900mah's first and work my way down. Also, I swap back and forth with the packs when its cold. The cold will kill em faster than anything! Keep one inside my coat in a shirt pocket to warm them up. Switch before walking to the stand. It works pretty good.

Try bhphotovideo.com for rechargable battery options.

B

Dumb Question: Does the ma of the batteries determine the power output of the battery or the length of time it will last? I don't want to put the wrong battery and fry something.

ma determines how long it will last. The nominal voltage of the cells should be 1.2V each. There are 8 batteries in series in the pack so it's nominal voltage is 9.6V. The one thing you have to worry about with the high capacity NimH cells is that they discharge rather fast when not in use. So if they sit for a few weeks after a charge and you go to use it they may be almost dead. This is where A123's or LiPo's would be better as they hold the charge a long time. If I could find some that would fit in the case I would switch to them.

I knowits not the same caller, but I used my fury at -20-25 C the other day for the whole day with out a problem. 9 stands, all going 15 min, perhaps a little more, and still had batteries that registered a half charge on my charger.

Get some NiMH and you'll find they last about twice as long, and only cost twice as much but can be used 50 times or more longer.

Back