Red fox chasing a deer??

Hog-Sniper

I was out deer hunting in MD last week and watched a big Red Fox come across a field and jump up at the neck of a doe that was feeding in the field...He kept running by as the doe moved out of the way..Has anyone else seen this behavior?? It was pretty cool watching him practice on a deer..

wow! man that is cool! i wish you caould have got a video of that!

no i have never saw behavior like that.
the deer must have really ticked that fox off!

That's sweet. I sometimes wondered how many people ever see a fox and deer together. When I was a kid I witnessed a red fox interacting with a deer before, but it was quite the opposite of your encounter. When I was bowhunting one time a small buck came out of the woods into the field in front of me. About a minute later a fox came down a different trail, then joined up with the deer in the field. After a minute or two they walked all the way across the field, side by side, relaxed, as though they were carrying on a conversation and enjoying each others company. They did this until they went into the woods on the opposite side and were out of sight.

If the fox was acting aggressive and during the day I would be thinking something was wrong with the fox. We had some problems with rabies. The foxes would chase people and other animals not normally targeted. just a thought.

Last edited:
Ive seen it once before while deer hunting. Little 8 pointer came out with a doe feeding, when it was almost dark a red fox came running thru the feild chasing them off wasnt really trying to attack them just kinda having fun with them. He didnt make it.

I've seen doe mule deer chase fox twice but never the other way around. I would be suspicious that the fox had rabies too.

VADeerhunter hit the nail on the head..It seemed as if the fox was playing with the deer..Not real aggresive, just came across the field in the early AM and jumped up at the deer. Once the deer moved away a few yards the fox just kept running in the direction he was going..Looked like he was having fun....On a different note, 3 days later at a different farm I watched 3 foxes play in the seasons first snow...It looked like kids that had the day off of school..They ran circles around each other kicking up snow and playing hard...Gotta love being out in the woods...

I was deer hunting in some bottom land a two years ago near my house in TN, when 3 does come running out of the woods and right on there tail was the prettiest little gray fox.
I dont know if they were playing together or if the deer were trying to get away. I thought this was odd as the fox is small and alone.

Back