which Leupold reticle do you like??

Trapper Luke

Goin to be puttin a Leupold on my 270 and was thinkin bout goin with the Boone and Crockett reticle. Anybody shoot and like that reticle? Which one do you like the best?

Dont know how much it matters but its my deer and elk and whatever else big game gun.

Thanks,
Luke

If you carry a rangefinder it's just extra clutter. If you learn to use it it
will be well worth having. I am half way proficient with mil and moa range
finding and still like having a rangefinder instead.

I have the B&C on my .300 ultra and IMO I think that the reticle itself is to blocky. Ita takes up the hole sight picture, especialy at longer ranges. This scope will soon be sent back to the factory for a reticle swap in the VH reticle and end up on my .243 WSSM upper. You might take it outside of the sporting goods store at look through it first before you buy. Hope this helps.

The B&C reticle should be just fine for big game hunting. I also use many ballistic and rangefinding reticles in my hunting rigs.

For what it is worth, the Boone and Crocket reticle matches up perfectly to the .270 ballistics on the two guns that I have experinece with. It allowed two deer in the past two seasons to be taken at 550 yards that we normally would not have shot at. Very much worth it where I hunt in my opinion.

I also use the varmint style reticle on a .22-250 and with a bit of reloading work, I have matched the ballistics of my gun to that reticle as well.

I find holdover points extremely helpful in a reticle, but you will need to have a good range finder because without knowing the distance, holdover points are useless.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunStandard duplex...........

Agreed
I like the regular Duplex for my hunting rigs,, but I'm not one to take 500+ yard shots at big game..

For long range Varmint shooting,,, I'm a clicker since there's no need to rush when shooting rodents...
Heck,, you can buy a pretty good range finder for the cost of some of those fancy reticles in two or three scopes...

Charlie

I like the boone and crocket ret on the lupy i had. That and if you decide to resale the special ret scopes will bring you more money as well when you sell it. They do work if yo read up on how they work and use it like the book says.

Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeGoin to be puttin a Leupold on my 270 and was thinkin bout goin with the Boone and Crockett reticle. Anybody shoot and like that reticle? Which one do you like the best?

Dont know how much it matters but its my deer and elk and whatever else big game gun.

Thanks,
Luke

I really like the VH reticle on the Leupold. All I shoot is AR-15's, and my number one favorite reticle is on a brand that is no longer available. The majority of my shots while hunting at very small targets, is 300-500 yards, and the VH takes care of that very nicely, so it ought to be even easier on the larger targets you are going for. Good luck with whatever you choose !!!

Hangtime

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunStandard duplex...........

Agreed
I like the regular Duplex for my hunting rigs,, but I'm not one to take 500+ yard shots at big game..

For long range Varmint shooting,,, I'm a clicker since there's no need to rush when shooting rodents...
Heck,, you can buy a pretty good range finder for the cost of some of those fancy reticles in two or three scopes...

Charlie

I shoot small groups beyond 500 yds with a standard duplex all the time.........

In my opinion, since he asked about hunting scope reticles, I disagree...Many people can shoot small groups with the standard duplex at long distances if given more than one shot, however...it is the first shot that counts when hunting.

I shoot at long distances quite often in my pasture and there is absolutely no comparison for a hunting scenario that having a reticle with holdover points is faster and way more accurate on the FIRST shot than guessing how high to hold with a standard duplex reticle for most hunters.

Last edited:
I currently use the Leupold VX III 2.5-8 with the Boone and Crockett reticle on my big game rifles. It is essential for you to know the range, so a range finder is needed. I use my big game rifles during the Spring to shoot rockchucks. Is excellent practice and have found the reticle to be very helpful even at the smaller targets. Shooting a chuck at 500+ yards with a hunting rifle (25-06)puts a bit of confidence in you, makes a deer or elk an easy target.

Nelson

Last edited:
Standard Duplex Reticles here.
Don't like busy reticles.
I do have one scope with a post and horizontal cross wire and I can use it in low light. But, that reticle is the only one I have that isn't a Duplex.

Who said anything about guessing? "For most hunters"....maybe. For someone who knows how to shoot, a duplex is ALL you need...........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun Who said anything about guessing? "For most hunters"....maybe. For someone who knows how to shoot, a duplex is ALL you need...........

So, you are saying that you can take 1 shot at any distance up to 600 yards and hit exactly where you want to hit just by holding over with a standard duplex? We shoot 5" balloons in my pasture out to 600 yards and many a man that talked like you has been humbled out there...I am sure there are some shooters who are capable and you may be one of them, but it certainly is not the norm.

Here's 1 i've use in a Siebert conversion--

IMG_0698.jpg

but this is my 1 of my all-around favorites--
HUMRDiagram.jpg

Back