What scope should I get for 22 Hornet?

204Gunner

I've recenlty aquired a new hornet barrel for my Encore rifle. I plan to use it for calling in cats, yotes, and fox. What power/brand scope would you recommend? I have a real cheap trashco 3-9x40 and a real old Weaver K4 scope with fine cross hair laying around here not being used. Would you screw one of these on or get something different? Thanks for your advice!

People love to say trashco, but there is a heck of alot of em doing just fine.

I'd slap either one on and get to hunting!

Originally Posted By: trukreltrogI'm running a straight 4X Leupold on mine. Since its a short range gun, really don't need a lot of power. Just my .02 cents.

I'll up it to .04 cents...
grin.gif

Leupy 4x. On my very first varmint rifle, 60 years ago, a Savage Model 219 in 22 Hornet, I had a 2 3/4x Lyman Alaskan scope mounted. It had the WORST trigger on any rifle ever made, but, I loved it..I loved the scope too..
grin.gif
Why did I love it? Because I worked my a$$ off shoveling snow and mowing grass for every one in town to save up enough money to buy the rig.

If you're gonna be hunting during low light, then that fine crosshair is of no use to you. It will be difficult to locate the reticle in low light. Bolder/thicker is better for night.

Lower power scopes such as 1.5x6x36 would be sufficient for that caliber of a calling rifle. Look around and see what is offered before settling for something that is just laying around. Time marches on, with many improvements.

Your 4x weaver would be a good start as would the tasco. At least they will get you shooting.

I ran a 1.5-5x32 Weaver shotgun scope on my 77/22H when I had it. It has the crosshair, and a biger diamond in the reticle. It was a little different at first, but I found it easy to center animals with when it got darker. I now run that scope on my 22Mag and it gets used for night hunting alot. As mentioned above, it really helps to have the bolder lines when the moon is not out in full force.

B

Originally Posted By: 2GunnerYour 4x weaver would be a good start as would the tasco. At least they will get you shooting.

I ran a 1.5-5x32 Weaver shotgun scope on my 77/22H when I had it. It has the crosshair, and a biger diamond in the reticle. It was a little different at first, but I found it easy to center animals with when it got darker. I now run that scope on my 22Mag and it gets used for night hunting alot. As mentioned above, it really helps to have the bolder lines when the moon is not out in full force.

B

Both of those Weaver's you mention are perfect for a Hornet, or a K-Hornet.
I have a 4x Weaver, and a 2-7 Weaver Rimfire. The 2-7x has the Parallax set at 50 yards. IIRC, the shotgun scope has its parallax set for 75 yards, better yet.

When I had a hornet I had a 3X10 Simmons 44Mag scope on mine, cheaper scope but it worked fine, I also have used Tasco scopes in the past without issue, back then I couldnt afford the higher end stuff so Tasco and Simmons were the flavor of the day.

I like a 3-9 or a 4-12 on a hornet, I have two with 3-9s and one with a 4-12, I see no difference or advantage to any of them. Your tasco scope would be a good fit as the recoil of a hornet would not be hard on a scope.

Back