A Dirty Little 5 Letter word all Predator Hunters Hate - Video

TBR_Outdoors

No, I am not cursing just yet....... This video should shed some light on what I was talking about!

Here's the clip.....

Thanks for watching!

Happy Hunting,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

Here's some information in regards to the previous post....

Some guys I talk to have had to deal with it and some guys haven't, for those of you who haven't, be thankful because you are very lucky!

For those of you who have, be aware that leaving these coyotes lay in the field is only spreading the disease. Although the coyote is dead, that mite is still very much alive. Therefore, when another coyote (or the neighbor's dog) passes by, he might roll around and rub up against the dead coyote passing the disease on, and so on.

Can we as hunters cause the Mange to die out? No, but we can make an effort to keep our hunting grounds prosperous for years to come and removal of dead animals who have contracted the disease is a big part of that.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do with their "Mangy" coyotes, just trying to spread some light on a situation that some people don't know a whole lot about. (Most novice predator hunters walk up on a coyote who has contracted the mange and say "well, good shot buddy, that one is nasty...let's leave him lay".....it may or may not affect your precious hunting ground in the future but it can cause coyote #s to drop and other animals to suffer through the terrible disease.)

Note: The mange can be contracted by all canines, and could affect other wild animals and even humans, so keep your own dogs away from affected animals and wash your hands/gloves.

Happy Hunting and God Bless,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

Ha ha Richie. From your title, you made it sound like the five letter word that all predator hunters hate is "video". You had me sweatin for a sec...LOL! I got ya now though. Keep that mange as far away from the west as possible. Thanks for the info!

Tom Austin

Very well presented point! It is part of being a responsible hunter to do what you can to keep disease out of the wild populations.

tt2.gif

Last edited:
Richie,

We have mange here pretty bad in some areas so the subject is of interest to me. Do you have any idea on how long the nasty little mites survive once the host is dead? I'm guessing it might depend alot on weather conditions/temps?

I'll admit I'm guilty of leaving a mangy coyote lay where it dies. Like you say, it is probably not the best thing to do and should be disposed of where nothing else could come into contact with it. On the other hand that mangy dead coyote laying there cannot possibly be spreading the crap near as much as if it was roaming around the area having contact with other coyotes.

Interesting subject.

There are several different type of mange mites that affect canines. The most common types are sarcoptic and demodectic. Demodectic is 'probably' the most common type seen in coyotes and will cause wide spread hair loss and pigmentation of the skin; however demodectic mange is not considered contagious from dog to dog or to people either. It runs in families of individuals and is a reflection of an immune deficiency. As they get more mites the immune system is further suppressed making the disease worse. Demodectic mange is generally not itchy and an animal can lose most of its fur with the skin appearing bluish grey but often there are no excoriations or open lesions.

Sarcoptic, the other common type, is contagious from animal to animal and will affect humans causing chigger like bites most commonly on the abdomen. It is mostly seen around the ears, eartips, and elbows. It is very itchy and these areas are generally raw and excoriated. Just Saying. TnTnTn

I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I have done quite a bit of research on the topic. This was sparked by the mange causing havock on some of my favorite coyote areas.

From what I've been able to gather from my research is that most all coyotes have mange mites to one degree or other. Thing is though most coyotes have a good enough immune system that the evidence of mites is seldom seen. When a coyotes imume system is stressed or compromised then it allows them to do their damage and take over the host. This stress can be casued by any number of things, drought, low food sources, other disease, just to name a few.....

Some strains of coyotes are more hearty than others and are less often affected. You will be doing your self and the coyotes a favor by killing any mangy coyote you see. This will not only get him out of the missery he is suffering but better yet it removes him from the gene pool. Also if you have lots of mange occuring in your area and happen to see a fully furred coyote then, as hard as it may be, you might want to let him be. That is if you want a good healthy coyote population in your area.

Another thing about mange mites......they can not survive on humans so don't worry about contracting the mange from tranporting of disposing of them. With this said I leave them lay most of the time. Other coyotes contracting this afliction from another coyote is a possiblity for sure but if he is suseptable to it, he probably already has it. If I see a mangy coyote I go out of my way and do my best to kill him ASAP.

Good Hunting, and God Bless,

Byron

Quote: Sarcoptic, the other common type, is contagious from animal to animal and will affect humans causing chigger like bites most commonly on the abdomen. It is mostly seen around the ears, eartips, and elbows. It is very itchy and these areas are generally raw and excoriated. Just Saying. TnTnTn

Good information, and just another good reason to kill every one you see with it and leave them lay. I don't have much hair left and sure don't want the mange. From what I've read I gathered it wasn't possible for any mange mite to survive on humans, but I for one don't want to take the chance. Thanks again for the information.

Byron

What do you consider an appropriate location? By moving them to another location, don't you risk spreading the mange even further?

Thanks,
Bob

Since i am new to predator hunting but i have had dogs all my life and Mange was always a concern...i dont have as many dogs now as we used to so Mange isnt a huge problem but for those of you that are in the know with it...since the mites can be carried on clothing and so on from us handeling them and so on would it be a good idea to maybe say carry a trash bag with us to the woods...if we kill one with Mange put it in the bag to transport it to burn area or somthing like that possibly cutting down the spread of it...or am i over thinking it

Bob,

I would not suggest moving the host to another location without some sort of detox. Simply moving the coyote to another location would spread the disease even further.

"Proper disposal" would probably be one of the following:
Bury them - Farmers compost pile, etc. or Incinerate them is probably the best methods.
Some put them in a plastic bag and spray Raid for 15-30 seconds (close the bag and let sit for 1+ hours) then do with them as they wish.

Good Hunting,

Richie
TBR Outdoors

Some research turned up a few findings.
The mites can live for several weeks without a host if the climate conditions allow them to live. Apparently if it's not real cold.
The mites can spread not only by direct contact with the host carrier, but also but contacting objects that the host carrier has contacted with-in a few weeks.
Apparently some studys show that some coyotes can actually recover from mange.

And. let's face it, a dead mangy coyote is spreading the disease less than a living mangy coyote. And thre's no way to look at a living coyote and determine if it does or doesn't have mange. Sure thing if the coyote has a severe case of mange, but many coyotes will have mange and you won't be able to determine it by looking at it from a distance. SO by giving a coyote a "pass" because it doesn't "look" mangy probably gets you no where in saving the population in an area!

Just a thought here, but could a guy carry some flea and tick powder and just cover the carcass completely with it? I was just wondering if that would have any effect on killing the mites...

I studied for an outbreak we had when raising English Bulldogs. I heard the same thing as Byron... Mange mites are USUALLY present, even on healthy, perfect looking canines. When their immune system gets compromised, the mange mites can take a foothold and it's a snowball effect from there if not treated.

Bait stations with Ivermectin! (Kills any parasite that's feeding on the blood.)

BUT TA, the fact remains that a coyote infected and in the very early stages of mange WON"T look unhealthy!! The best way to HELP slow the spread of mange is to thin the coyote population in the area that has mange. Fewer coyotes means fewer hosts and slower spread.

Back