.308 round choice for coyotes

jackh

i know its a little big but if i want to take some yotes with my new .308, whats the best round choice? im not interested in saving the pelts for money but id rather there not be peices of yote on the ground. ive read i should use a harder tipped bullet so theres not quite as much damage. american eagle fmj rounds are the cheapest thing gander sells, are these ok?

Don,t use FMJs, they'll richochet almost every shot. Get some 150 gr. Remington Coreloks. You'll only blow them apart if you hit a major bone mass. Body shots, they'll barely expand on something that thin. Or Power Points, same result.

I loaded up some hornady 110 vmax and some serria 130 varmit hollow points. They both shot good from the 308. I tried the same with my 06 and the 110 didn't do as good. We have only shot one coyote with them though, uaually use the 223. The one shoot was with the 110 out of the 06. This is not a fur friendly combination but it will certinaley put them down.

Ive been shooting the Ultramax 110gr. Sierras. You can get em at Cabelas for like $18.00/20. My groups were very tight with these as well... Ultramax is known to be dirty, but I swab my barrel after every trip anyways. The yote I shot was a headshot at 70yds. and it didnt do very much damage (the whole back of the head was gone, but nothing exploded.). It was DRT though.

Also, the 110's have very littler felt recoil, so you can watch 'em drop in the scope.

do you just run a bore snake through your gun after every trip and then clean the thing thoroughly a couple times a yr or what? thats pretty cheap, i might try to find those and if i cant ill try to find other 110g for yotes and varmints and maybe a good 150g for whitetail. any suggestion for whitetail?

Theoretically, 110gr. would work for deer, but as far as 150gr. and higher goes, you have a plethora of good options. Ballistic silver tips are good ammo so I hear, but they are expensive. As far as Im concerned, I'd probably use some 168gr. FGGM with Sierra Matchking BTHP for deer. Plenty of power and good expansion.

I really don't have a regimen for cleaning my rifle. When I shoot it, I clean it. I first use a bore brush with hoppes 9 to get rid of the hard buildup, then I run a patch of Hoppes 9 down it until I get no more powder and grime on the patch, then I run through a patch of breakfree, then a clean patch to clean it up.

For the record, I think you made an excellent caliber choice. Its very versatile in the fact that you can load em light and fast, or heavy and slow.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerDon,t use FMJs, they'll richochet almost every shot. Get some 150 gr. Remington Coreloks. You'll only blow them apart if you hit a major bone mass. Body shots, they'll barely expand on something that thin. Or Power Points, same result. . I agree about the 150 Rem Core Lokts . A few weeks ago I shot one with these I had handloaded in the Ruger Compact 308 . MV was 2700 fps , maybe as low as 2675 with the temps. at the time . At a hundred and some yards the bullet entered the short ribs and exited the point of the shoulder . The exit hole was only 50 cent piece size ... Bang flop ..... I would use fmjs in a second , but this is Alaska . I,m going to get a bunch of the 147 gr FMJ BTs and molly tumble them . load them to 2700 fps and see how they do ... The 150 gr Re CL are too much for a fox [beeep] . Learned that the hard way . 2 " exit hole .

Last edited:
I can,t believe this . The word that gets beeped out is T, H,, O. Like as in That bullet is too much for a fox t; . h.,. o';.,

I would simply shoot whatever was the most accurate for that particular gun. I would definately NOT use FMJs. They tend to icepick through dogs and then the dogs run away, to die much later. Respect the game animal and shoot something that will make a clean kill. Avoid FMJs.

175 grain Gold Medal Match factory load:

dec2006050.jpg

Back