Still kicking! 3 more prime coyotes down. (pics and story)

getemclose

Well guys I have not posted for a few weeks due to catching up in school (necesary evil:D) and some other matters. thing are still going good... here is the run down!

Calling has been great thus far, and I was able to make it out on sunday for a full day of coyote calling bliss. Me and a buddy headed across the border
smile.gif
to chase some song dogs. As usual the wind was howling pretty good and our first stand drew a blank with the only excitment being a lone magpie singing his tune.

We decide to head up the road and try a huge pasture with draws and a shallow creek running through it. Before we Sit down we Spot a coyote 1000 yards away milling around. All it took was a squeak and he was on us! Now there is a fence between me and the coyote and I tell myself I am going to let him cross ( No fun twanging a round off the wire trust me!)
As soon as the coyotes crosses My .223 barks and Coyote #1 bites the dust hard! Big Male.

sundyhunt.jpg

The next few stands draw some blanks with the wind howling pretty hard!

The key is to keep hitting spots! Percentages begin to sway in your favor and Finally on the 8th stand of the day We strike again!

We set up in a pasture with the wind in our faces, As we get settled in I spot a coyote cresting a hill a half mile away headin the other direction. I know he didnt see us So We hit a short burst of rabbit cries.. Here he comes mach 20! and as a bonus his pretty little partner his hot on his heels. As the two coyotes close the distance on a string I tell myself to shoot the back coyote to ensure a better chance at a double.. As it always seems to happen the lead dog (Male) charged in way ahead while the female was around 150 out coming slower. With the wind blowing like it is I take the gimme and Dump the male At 20 yards! I always lay prone and being eye to eye with the coyote it pretty awsome! I hit him square in the face..(didnt mean to) And he wasnt to happy. He bawled Until I was able to put him down with a second shot.

The female narrowly escaped a few well placed misses on her way out.

Another Pale coyote
smile.gif

sundyhuntt.jpg

That put two in the truck with a few stand left to call.

The next two stand found us battling circleing coyotes that wouldnt come under that 500 yard mark. I was able to get one shot at 330 yards but shot right over the top.

On one of our final stands We set up in a pasture with A slew below us. not 10 seconds into calling I hear Bang Whop. A MANGY coyote was right below us in the slew the whole time.. The wind can be helpful for getting in REAL close on coyotes! The camera was in the truck and the coyote looked like a pooch on acid. I cant believe he was still surviving. Worst case of mange I have seen..

We ended the Day with three coyotes Which was exceptional for the high Winds. Hope to get out Again this weekend!.

Ill keep you posted
wink.gif

Mitch, looks like you have this game figured out. Most guys would bag it in the wind. Keep it up but stay on your side of the border, Montana is mine!
wink.gif

Nice story and pics. We are finally getting snow so maybe I can finally break out some snow camo. I like those coveralls, what kind are they?

Mitch,
Nice write up and photos. Your busting them hard this year. Keep up the good work. I have that same rifle and it's a tack driver. I really like it. Keep calling them in.

Jim

>> On one of our final stands We set up in a pasture with A slew below us.

What is a "slew"?

dictionary.com:

A large amount or number; a lot: a slew of unpaid bills.

????????
------------
Edit: never mind... I got it... "slough". I'm a visual person and don't know if I've ever heard the word pronounced. Therefore, I read "a slew below us.." and I thought you'd found the motherload of coyotes or something.

FWIW, I never understood "Dubya" for our former President until I actually said it out-loud.

Carry on!
--------------

Last edited:
NMHighplains. I spelled it wrong. slough.. I.E a cattail slough.

LawDog, You have it figured out with the video end of things. I agree with you.

Gonzaga. sorry I missed your Q: Ill have to look at what brand they are I forget! Ill let you know.

thanks guys

I use a Canon GL2. Its not the fanciest camera out there, but it's small, lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and the quality is exceptional with the flourite lens. Great little camera's. Good Hunting

Tom Austin

Back