Loaded for Bear........I think!

Wolf'n

Well guys I am headed to North Georgia for my first black bear hunt next week, I have everything for the hunt and the trip gun, knife, another gun, and several other knives, and the other usual mountain hunting necessities. But I was wandering, should I take a call, well wait a minute, I take all of my calls everywhere, so no that is not the question. So I guess the question is what call should I use to possibly call in a bear? Or should I use a call at all? I saw a hunt on TV once where a guide up in Alaska, I think, called in a griz with a rabbit distress. So what's the story with this. To call or not to call?

Hey Mod's, it does not look like I am going to get any suggestions, comments, or opinions on this one, you can delete the post if you want.

If you have some sort of deer distress call I would take that with you. The bear will respond to rabbit calls, and there is deer around that area and I am sure that they have eaten one at one time or another so it is worth a shot.

Good Luck and bring back some pics and a story.

Calling bears is like calling anything else, Be in the right place, at the right time, with the right sound.
"SIMPLE".
Bears respond sometimes slow, and sometimes real fast.
I have only called in a few, but always called around a food source, so I could get a shot in the daylight.
I have used rabbit, deer fawn, and (my secret), a coon squall.
I won't waste time "cold callin", I always find a bear first.
Hope this little bit helps. If you want, give me a call.
Duane 1-541-589-1621

Thanks for your response Duane. I went this last week and found some real good spots for next year, no bear this year but I found some really fresh tracks Thursday and set up on the area for several hours. I went this morning after coyote but with no luck on the stand, we (me and my neighbor) went to see if we could get a coon to come in down near a swamp where I have seen them before; he used his Coon Squaller. No coons, but the crows loved it, or hated it one; they came in and my neighbor shot at them, missing, and then the darn things came back after being shot at. Now you say that bear will come to it too, I think that I need to buy a Coon Squaller.

You have to keep an open mind, bears lots of times come in more out of "curiosity" than anythin else. The coons sounds have worked for me. Can't say I really know why.

Thanks fellas, I searched Wayne Carlton on Google and found several calls and instructional media. and I checked out the link you sent Riverswild, it really gives insight to what I am after. This should up my odds next season. I very much appreciate the assistance.

Last edited:
Back