Coyote hunting in Illinois

Jimmc

I was just wondering if there are any coyote hunters in Southern Illinois? I am not talking about Mt. Vernon or centralia areas. I mean Deep Southern Illinois, Pope, Johnson, Pulaski, Massac and Alexander counties.

I know we have coyotes, bob cats and fox here, I would just like to hear from some hunters in my neck of the woods.

Thanks in advance

Hi! Im a little ways north of you. I hunt shelby, christian, and mostly montgomery county . There are some southern IL guys on here though. I mainly call coyotes and a few fox from time to time. Bobcats arent legal yet and i wish they were ive called in 2 and i couldnt shoot them but it was cool to watch i guess. Ive seen more this year than before. We have lots of coyotes around here and from what ive seen with very little calling pressure, but i know some people that run them with dogs and thats not very interesting to me. Im sure some guys in your area will respond. Good luck !

The South is rising! I'm another SI guy here, mostly hunt in Jefferson, Washington, and Perry counties.

I'm with you Savage, I can't wait till they put bobcats on the menu, I've seen plenty of them around.

I also shoot a Savage!

White county here....only had the chance to get out once this year...with no luck. Got my new FX3 this week and was REALLY ready to get out but deer season has us shut down for the weekend.

Originally Posted By: sexton147White county here....only had the chance to get out once this year...with no luck. Got my new FX3 this week and was REALLY ready to get out but deer season has us shut down for the weekend.

Do you have any trouble getting permission to hunt on ground over there? I know everyone is all wrapped around their deer hunting and wouldn't want anything to interfere with that
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Never really have much trouble. But things are really getting different than they used to be. With everyone knowing they can lease to outfitters for big money permission it is sometimes tough to get in new places. Its a pretty small area around here though so sometimes its like well I know the land owner, were just coyote hunting, Im sure they wont mind.

Yeah I heard the same thing, once they found out they can make some bucks on their own ground, things start to change.

My in-laws live in New Haven and noticed there is some nice ground out there. I'm going to see if I can't get some permission to hunt coyotes or crows(I seen a crap load of them black bandits!).

Last edited:
Yes I like them alot. I started out with one, and I have quite a few of them now. I like the fact i can work on them myself, theyre moderatly priced and shoot very well. I do have 1 rifle thats not a savage though a CZ 452 lux in .22LR. Anyway I started calling with a Model 12FV .22-250 with a nikon buckmasters 6-18X40 scope but it got heavy to carry all day so now its a dedicated varmint rifle. Last year I got a stevens 200 .22-250. I put a nikon 3-9X40 scope and its about perfect for a calling rifle. Its pretty light, accurate, handles well and after I kryloned it I really like it now. Im considering another stevens 200 in .243 or .270 for hog hunting or if i ever get to deer hunt somewhere with a rifle. Plus thats just another excuse to get another rifle lol.

Hey guys, just joined up. I live in crawford county, over by Indiana. I thought anything south of Chicago was "southern Illinois".I do a lot of coyote hunting. Pretty much taken over bowhunting deer as my favorite, although I still do it.

Originally Posted By: dvldoc75Hey guys, just joined up. I live in crawford county, over by Indiana. I thought anything south of Chicago was "southern Illinois".I do a lot of coyote hunting. Pretty much taken over bowhunting deer as my favorite, although I still do it.

There you go DVLDOC75.I have lived near Chicago, down around Salem, and now in Southern Illinois. I am in Johnson County about three miles from Pulaski County in the Southwest corner. There is a bunch of coyotes around here, I was just wondering if any one lived close to this area. Glad to hear from all you hunters in Illinois.

Jimmc....I have some family that lives close to your area, in metropolis. I have thought about coming down to some public ground around belknap and carnak..Is there much pressure around there?

Almost dead nuts in the middle of the state Macoupin co.Sorry little late havent been on the site for a while.Cant say on coyotes havent had time to go

Danville Newbie here. Just got my new Spitfire and looking for a chance to get out at try this predator calling. Two years ago I went out a couple of times and called in a red fox using mouth calls. I am winding down a bit on deer hunting. Thought predator hunting might be a way for me to still get out and enjoy the outdoors and work with my guns. Also want to try crow hunting, millions of them around here.

Originally Posted By: sexton147Jimmc....I have some family that lives close to your area, in metropolis. I have thought about coming down to some public ground around belknap and carnak..Is there much pressure around there?
As far as I know, there isn't many hunting yotes around this area. I do not hear of any.

Well as soon as I get a free weekend there should be a few dead yotes down in your parts...maybe we can give it a shot together sometime.

newbie here found this forum from this topic while searching for coyote hunting tips. I live in christian co. and hunt here and fayette co.

Back