What do coyotes do in a snow storm??

Trapper Luke

So I got to wonderin what coyotes do durin a snow storm? Do they still do what they would usually do or do ya think they might hunker down and ride it out then go bout their business?

Thanks,
Luke

I would bet it would depend on if the wind was blowing hard or not. If the snow is light and not much wind then I would be they go about their normal things. If the wind is really getting with it like here in wyoming most of the time, I would have to think they are laying low waiting untill it calms down a bit. JMHO

When the snow is blowing and the mercury drops out of sight you can bet every yote out there is curled up in a ball with his nose stuck in his tail. They usually try to ride it out till hunger gets the best of them...then it don'nt seem to make a difference they go into survival mode and travel.

they hold up just like other animals

I have had coyotes come in, during a lite snow storm never a heavy or wind blown snow (yes i have tried)

the wind when combined with snow is what pins them down they won't move if the wind is howling and pulling snow with it.(I have had yote's come in during windy conditions but never when it is a white out)

As soon as it is over man oh man, if that isn't some of the best time to hunt for them I don't know what is.

We are getting pounded sometime tomorrow or Thursday morning will be optimal time to get out and call

cough cough I think I have a slight case of coyote fever coming on

edit: I see you are from the beehive state it is just plain tough to call in any conditions out there. I have 20k acres of state land, land locked by my wife's family near price that you'd think would have a few coyotes on it but I have never even called in a wetfart while out there.

Last edited:
Calling on a bright clear calm and sunny morning after a 2 day blizzard is some of the best calling you can have. Holed up and belly growling for two days has coyotes racing to the call in my experience.
No point in going out when it's howling and blowing snow. But if it's foggy, I've had 'em come in CLOSE, like 2 feet from my partner! What a hoot when I pointed out the tracks in the mud behind him!

Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeSo I got to wonderin what coyotes do durin a snow storm?

My guess is make little targets.
laugh.gif

I tried last night in an area were I know they are and no one calls. I walked about two miles in three feet of powder felt like ten I didn't see any tracks and didn't see anything but deer. It was snowing hard and windy.

Back