The Ultimate How To Paint Your Rifle Thread

roadkill46

Hopefully everyone can post how they do it here. Here is how I do mine:
1. Take off or tape everything that you don't want painted. Use blue painters tape, works like a charm.
2. if you want to paint your scope, measure how tall the numbers are on the turrets or the variable ring and cut a strip of tape to cover that.
3. AR innerds and bolt actions can be packed with napkins to keep the paint out of the operating areas.
4. Tape or shove a napkin into the muzzle end of the barrel
5. i don't paint grips, some grips are sticky and the paint has a hard time adhering to these.
6. clean the entire gun with acetone/brake cleaner/etc, no oil is allowed on the gun
7. spray your base coat. i use krylon, whatever color. ensure that you get all areas and give it 2 light coats to cover.
8. i like to wait at least 2 hours to let the paint semi cure. it says 20 minutes and they are correct but i am a little anal.
9. i then take grey primer and make several 4-6 inch bands all the way around the gun about 3-4 inches apart. you will have a barber pole affect.
10. go gather some native grass, branches, leaves, stencil, whatever you want. you do want fresh leaves every time though cause the load up with paint.
11. i like to hold the vegetation about 1/2 inch away from what i am painting and spray light to medium back and forth and up and down so that you are spraying through the vegies.
12. change your veggies frequently so they don't load up and blotch your paint job
13. start your third color if you want a 3rd. do the same thing. same on your 4th or 5th or 100th color.
14. once everything is dry, follow up with a light spraying through the veggies with matte black. this will produce a shadow effect and it looks pretty cool.
15. after 24 hours i use the same brand of matte clear and give it 2 good coats. i then let dry for another 24 hours before use.
16. remember that when you paint, any corrosive type cleaner will take off the paint like brake cleaner, gunscrubber,etc.

sponge painting:
1. same as above but you spray your paint into a shallow container and then blotch it onto the weapon. all the same procedures, except that you have a little more control.
Hope this explains. here are a couple of pics of my handiwork:
8172.jpg

8171.jpg

ts2.jpg

SBrightside.jpg

punisher12.jpg

good write up
i like to use a foam ear plug for the muzzle.
i also like to practice on a piece of cardboard or somthing to make sure i will get what i want.

from GameEarGabe: consolidated into one post:
I decided to refinish my 22-250 here are a bunch of pics. Good Bad and Ugly comments Accepted. Thanks
Before
SD530063.jpg

Then I disassemble the rifle and degreased it.
Rinsed it with soap and taped it up.

Khaki Base Coat
SD530069.jpg

Pine Needle Camo
SD530071.jpg

Second Color Pine Needle
SD530072.jpg

Finished Product
SD5300722.jpg

SD530094.jpg

Howling Coyote
SD530100.jpg

Originally Posted By: foxxproDoes anyone know how they make those paw prints I see on some stocks that have been painted.

Google search what you want and print out the image and uses an exacto knife to cut it out then spray.

I'd like to paint my Stevens Model 200 25-06 similar to B&C's Tan with black webbing. Has anyone done something similar to that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i did my ruger charger in metallic dark green and gold webbing. pic is posted in the classifieds under chopped and bobbed ruger charger. secret is not to use too much of the webbing and shoot it from pretty far back so it spreads like a spider web.

Back