My new Savage 12 .22-250 came yesterday!

trevor73402

Well let me start off saying that Ive always been a Rem. and Weatherby guy. Thats what my dad always shot, so naturally I just followed after him. I decided to buy a new rifle for coyote/varmit hunting and given that I had read so much about the accuracy of the new savage guns while I was researching/building my Rem. 700 in 300wsm I thought that I should give the Savage platform a try this time.

I wanted the model 12 with the 26" heavy barrell, but I wanted it in blue, not stainless so the only option that I was left with was the 12FV (.22-250) base model. So I went ahead and ordered it knowing that I would have to replace the stock as soon as I got it (personal preferance only).

Anyway I got my EGW 20MOA base on today and mounted my 6-18X40 scope on it in some Burris Xtreme Tacticle rings. Cleaned the barrell real good, tightened the action screws, and bore sighted it with a laser. It was almost time for me to leave the house to go into work, but I couldnt help shoot it just a few times before I left. I grabbed some cheap (white box) Win 45grn hollow points and ear protection and a bag and set up on the back deck. Now I am NOT one to tell storys or exaggerate, but the FIRST 3 shot group I fired out of this new barrell were all 3 touching each other at 75 yards. I cleaned the barrell and made a slight adjustment up and a slight adjustment right and fired 2 more shots that both went into one oblong hole. I was shocked....amazed!! I was already late for work so I picked up my stuff and called it good until tomorrow when I can move out to the 200 yard mark.

Now Im still a Rem. guy....I just love them, but I can assure you that if this level of performance continues with the Savege it certainly wont be the last one that I buy. The gun shot so well with the cheap hollow points that its got me worried that it may not shoot my handloads near as good (my luck).

I got a nice Laminate thumbhole stock on the way for this gun from Stockys. Hopefully it will fit well.

A++ for the Savage 12FV

Congrats, I have a 12FV in .223 and is an absolute tackdriver. It is more accurate than most of the custom rifles I paid much more for. Enjoy the fun of shooting small groups.

Now you see what us savage guys are trying to keep secret .
laugh.gif
I never did follow in dads footsteps he liked Rem and I bought a Savage when I turned 18 just gave us somthing else to argue about

Well as with anything new that Im not used to I was skeptical, but Ive tryed to be more open minded about things as I am getting a lil older....Im only 29, but...

I had looked at the 12FV before at cabelas and liked the barrell and action, but did not care for the plastic stock at all. In fact when mine arrived the first thing I did was take it apart to look at the accu-trigger and as I took the action screws out I noticed that the rear screw in the back of the trigger guard was not tight at all and as I went ahead and took it out a long curly piece of plastic came out with it so I knew it was already stripped out. I put a small dot of super glue on the tip of the thread when I put it back together. Since I had no intention of keeping the stock on anyway this didnt upset me too much.

I really like it so far and I think its gonna be pretty hard on the coyotes around my place this winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ACLakeyCongrats, I have a 12FV in .223 and is an absolute tackdriver. It is more accurate than most of the custom rifles I paid much more for. Enjoy the fun of shooting small groups.

I also have a 12FV in .223, it is one of my most acurate rifles!

I have the same gun as you have and it is a tack driver with the Winny white box 45 gr. Put the crosshairs on 35 yotes and 34 are dead. I hope you have the same results with yours. Good luck Rifleman2

Originally Posted By: Rifleman2I have the same gun as you have and it is a tack driver with the Winny white box 45 gr. Put the crosshairs on 35 yotes and 34 are dead. I hope you have the same results with yours. Good luck Rifleman2

Thats really good to hear Rifleman2. Im hoping that I can good some good groups with some 55gr Vmax's or some other type of 55gr bullets that I have loaded. I have some Vmax's loaded up and some semi-spitzers as well. I'll just have to play around with it and see what I can do.

I have changed many friends minds on savage rifles with my heavey barrel 22-250 model 12. I have had two friends buy model 12s after shooting mine. For the price you cant beat them. The only problem I have had is I cant find a load my gun dosnt like.

Good news, Ive got a savage model 12FV .22-250 just like yours but nikon 6-18X40 scope and it shoots everything ive put in it well. Mines not very picky at all from 40 grain v-maxes to 55 grain soft points and every reload ive tried in it. The funny thing is it and my other .22-250s shoot those white boxes well too. Mine seems to shoot handloads with 50-53 grain bullets the best. Also it should shot tighter and more consistant after 100 rounds. Good luck with yours, I bet it will look nice with that stock too.

Update:

Well I got to shoot about 30 more rounds today with the new 12FV. I was afraid that my handloaded V-max's werent gonna shoot as good as those Win white box 45gr HP's and I was right.....so far. First I shot 3 more white box 45gr and got a good tight group that would fit under a quarter at 100yds (it was windy today). Then I switched over to 50gr V-max with 42gr's of H380 and the group opened way up (1"-1.5") at 100. I cleaned the barrel and shot 3 more and still the same. I next tried some 55gr semi-spitlzers and it was even worse.

** For those of you that replied to this thread that said you also have a 12FV what load are you shooting?? Please let me know.

Im gonna play with it somemore tomorrow. Im gonna load up 5 rounds of the 50gr Vmax with 40gr's of H380 and work my way up with 5 rounds each adding one grain at a time to see if I can find a sweet spot. Im not set on H380, its just what I have used for the loads in my browning.

***Any reccomendations would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
Quote:Im gonna play with it somemore tomorrow. Im gonna load up 5 rounds of the 50gr Vmax with 40gr's of H380 and work my way up with 5 rounds each adding one grain at a time to see if I can find a sweet spot. Im not set on H380, its just what I have used for the loads in my browning.

Start with 38 gr. of H380 and work up .5 grains at a time. Hodgdon lists 41.0 as being max with 50 gr. bullets.

Thanks for the tip.

Ive been reading on here and ive started to see that compared to others my load it pretty hot. I see that most are shooting 35-38 grains of H380. Guess I better back it off a bit and see how it does.

Originally Posted By: flyinlizard1 My 12 fv likes 39.0 grs. of H-380 under a 50 gr.v-max

Thanks Flyinlizard!

Im glad someone with a 12FV replied. I realize all guns are different, but it will give me a good reference point.

I think that all of us Savage shooters will agree that the model 10 and 12 will out shoot most any Factory gun out there. I have the 204, 223 and the 308 and they all are shooter. I will be adding the 22-250, 243 and 25-06 as soon as I sell the ones I have. I don't think that I will ever own a different maker other than Savage in a factory gun...

Dan

If you can get your hands on some, Benchmark powder hsa done wonderful things in all the rifles I used it with. It's what I use in my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine currently, pushing 55 grain CTs into little tiny groups. Best of luck with your new rifle.

A expanded comment on the 12FV, is the extra stability on long range shots that the heavy barrel provides to me. On a recent Texas deer hunting show the host/guide made the comment that if a hunter showed up with a wimpy barreled sporter they told him to leave it in the case and they provided a heavy barreled gun for him to use. A lot of wounded deer was the resoning behind there rule. If you do your part, the 12 will do it's part on those long shots. Good shooting.

Back