Will a coyote cross a frozen pond?

TCS

Sorry if this has been answered but I tried to search and didn't find it.

So my question is exactly as the title states. Do the coyotes cross frozen bodies of water? I've got a few ponds near me and if the coyotes will cross once they freeze it definitely might change the way I call them.

Hmmm, I dont know...How big is this pond? Cant you just call from this side of it and shoot them across the pond? I imagine they would cross...Maybe someone else can help....Good question....

Chad

It's not huge, maybe 300 yards long by 50 yards across total. But there is no ideal spot that I can call next to it that doesn't compromise my downwind side or isn't too close to a house. There is, however an island in the pond that has a little bit of cover and would allow me to see the length of the pond downwind of me. So I could theoretically use that to my advantage if the coyotes would feasibly cross the ice.

Yes,coyotes will use frozen lakes,ponds and rivers as travel routes without any thoughts about it..here in NY I have several spots that I have called dogs across late winter..I have also seen many coyotes on reservoirs just driving to work..I like calling these spots where they are protected or feel safe coming out..

NY Yote

Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Yes,coyotes will use frozen lakes,ponds and rivers as travel routes without any thoughts about it..here in NY I have several spots that I have called dogs across late winter..I have also seen many coyotes on reservoirs just driving to work..I like calling these spots where they are protected or feel safe coming out..

NY Yote

Exactly, as stated above. coyotes will definitely use frozen bodies of water as travel routes . especially when there's at least an inch of snow for traction .thick frozen swamps are good daytime set ups . more open bodies of water would probably be difficult to draw one out in daylight . but i'm sure it would work well at night

ive tracked coyotes across lakes here when the snow is on and you can follow them through the fresh snow..... seems like everytime the lake freezes they hit it.

They definately use frozen waterbodies extensively as travel routes and calling from lake edges can be very effective at times.One of my favorite calling areas is a small river that allows me to easily access some great unpressured territory when it's frozen over.It makes a great day trip calling stands every 500-1000 yards up through the river valley.

I have a body of water just like the OP describes, maybe slightly bigger. It is mostly swmpy, with tall grass clumps that the water freezes around.

I am going to call it this year when it freezes.

We'll see...

Just be careful. Last season I fell through the ice on a local pond while calling by myself. Had a heck of a time getting out, not to mention it was about 10 degrees out.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: bimmey Here in NH you can't take them on the ice.

I am not aware of that rule bimmey.
Where did you find that ?
Looked everywhere but can't find it.
Thanks.

PC

Edit: I know baiting on ice is prohibited..

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: TCSDo the coyotes cross frozen bodies of water ?

Yes, they do.

003_22A.jpg

026_03A.jpg

CoyoteonLakeEditedCropped.jpg

Poor photo but the coyote is at the tail of the arrow.

PC

I was out today and the ice has formed on the beaver ponds. I saw coyote tracks out on the ice already. The coyotes love to use the ice for their travels. MI VHNTR

Originally Posted By: beaglerJust be careful. Last season I fell through the ice on a local pond while calling by myself. Had a heck of a time getting out, not to mention it was about 10 degrees out.
crazy.gif

My buddy (who owns the property) warned me last year not to cross the one deep part of the lake on ice after I told him I walked across it. The other areas, where the grass is are okay. Being that I hunt alone, and there isn't much around where I go in Pike county, I think I will heed his (and your) warnings.
He says it's twelve feet deep in that area. Too deep for me.

My bad. page 29 of the NH hunting digest states no baiting on the ice.

PC, by the way where are you located in NH/VT. I'm from the Sunapee area.

Bimmey

Last edited:
Back in '07 I was using a predator caller with rabbit decoy, 3 coyotes crossed an entire frozen lake to get to my side. They must have come a good 3/4 miles to get to me. The lake was a solid sheet of ice, crystal clear.

Last edited:
Back