Three gray foxes called in by my 9-year old daughter

Switch

I had no plans to go out calling today, but the weather looked promising and I just had a feeling. I just had to make a move towards the camo and my daughter Alyssa was already in the truck. We got a late start and were on our first stand at about 9:30 AM. I was the shooter and Alyssa was on the pink closed-reed Braz call Lynn made for her. She'd call for all she was worth and then rest for a minute and start in again. At about 4-minutes she slowly looks over and says she sees a gray fox. My heart jumps. I don't see it and it sneaks in to about 17-yards. She points right to it and I just don't have a shot. I take a rushed shot and miss. We stay on stand and about 4-minutes later I spot another one out at about 120-yards slowly trotting in. She spots it too and we wait. Less than 6-seconds later we have one zip on through at about 6-yards. This was clearly a different fox than the one we spotted at distance. Again, the fox zips in and out before I can connect. We call a little longer and then decided to sneak back out and leave the spot alone for a bit.

We made a few more stands, but nothing showed. I don't think either one of us cared. I was heart broken that I couldn't connect on the first animal my daughter called in, but we were both so excited that she got some animals to show. She called in all three foxes. One of my best trips ever.

Here's a photo of the great caller at the end of the evening. Maybe next time she should be on the call AND the gun. Daddy can bring her drinks when she gets thirsty. A day I'll never forget!

Foxcaller.jpg

Great story switch! It sure is hard at times to keep that adrenalin rush in check - especially when they are running all around you. Good going.

Tell Alyssa - that She's Done Really Good!
Great Pic of your #1 Fox caller - thanks for sharing!

It is great to see that there is some kidds that still like to go with their Pops to hunt. What a great story and great booster for your daughter to have. Keep up the good work. Keep the stories coming...

Dan

Good for the two of you. Great story. Right now waiting for my 8 yr. old daughter to get her homework done so we can go and try a spot or two.

Excellent story Tim! I love to hear about people getting their kids out into the woods. Foxes are great for kids to call in because they are so lively and crazy! (the foxes I mean, but maybe the kids too . . .)

That is awesome Tim.

PS. Keep that shotgun close when she gets in highschool. You're gonna have your hands full with that daughter!
smile.gif

Tony

Back