22-250 load for coyotes

champ198

looks like i lucked into a great deal on a 22-250 which is what i have been wanting for predators and varmits....still waiting on some things to get the gun...will have to get dies and so on but was wondering what bullet you all fine the best....was looking at using the Nosler varmit BT...was thinkin a 50 gr...the gun is a Remington VLS with a 1-14 twist 26" barrel....are there any huge diffrences other than the normal stuff from the 50gr to the 55gr? also see some guys like the seirra bullets but im kind of a nosler guy...jsut mainly goin off of experience from a good friend of mine thats what he loads and he helps me a bunch so thats what i have loaded pretty much is all noslers jsut lookin for some ideas so when i get the gun i have everything else i need to load it

I'll split the difference with you cause I load and shoot 52 gr Sierra HPBT bullets. I've found that just happens to be what my Ruger 22-250 likes best. Ain't nothing wrong though with those Noslers. Just a matter of findin what your girl likes the best.

One of our very successful fur hunters swears by the 50 gr NBT out of the 22-250. He shoots enough dogs to know. If you are not saving fur, being from MO probably not, the bullet will not matter much.

I myself have taken to the 55 gr Rem PLHP (power loct hollow point) as it is pretty tough and does not blow up like the Rem SP bullets that I used last year. Of course I am looking to save fur. The SP's left very messy holes.

H414 has been my powder of choice.

Sierra 55 SBT [#1365] I run them at 3652fs with 34.5 grains of N135 & CCI-200.
They are extremely accurate with fur damage held to a minimum while terminal performance is outstanding. All coyotes taken have been bang flop DRT.

B..

The best performing bullets out of my 22-250 for quick kills and minimal pelt damage were Sierra 55gr #1365 Gamekings(usually have a quarter sized exit), Sierra 52gr BTHP Match(rarley exits), 55 gr Rem PLHP(rarley exits) and Nosler 55gr BT(Rarley exits) These bullets were very consistant killers for me.

I am using Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips with 35.5gr of H380 for my back up and Hornady 55gr V-MAX with 35gr. of Varget as my primary choice with a C.O.L. of 2.50 in my Savage mod 12 with a 26"BBL with 1-12 twist and Accu-Trigger.I am able to get sub.5" groups easy and really enjoyed picking off hedge apple at 300+ yrd with these loads.
Good Luck

My remington 700 with a 24" 1-14 twist barrel, likes 50-52 gr. bullets. When I tried 55 gr. bullets the groups started to open up. I tried factory loads and the 50 did better than 55 gr

The Sierra 55g Spt, SptBt, HPBT all are really great bullets for yotes when you take into consideration that you have to make quartering shots, or take what ever shot that is presented to you.

I loaded a load with naked 55g Nosler Ballistic tips also, with about 39.0g of Win 760.

I shot a really hot load for a while that was 41.5g of 760 with a Win primer, and a Nosler 55g Combined tec bullet that is the fastest load that I ever found for that particular 22/250...don't even try this load with naked bullets.

The Sierra 55g BTHP is probably the toughest of the 55's that I tried, and that particular bullet never failed us.

Don't ever forget the great little Sierra 50g Sp, tough little rascal, super accurate, and will shoot holes through both shoulder blades and penetrate deep on quartering shots.

Back