.22mag for bobcat/fox?

coyotewillie

My calling rifles are .223, a Browning Micro Hunter and an AR. We've got both fox and bobcat around, but I always seem to concentrate on coyotes. But, I've got some areas I'd like to get permission to try for fox once. And some places I call are good for cat, but always seem to get a coyote first. Anyway, I hate be undergunned for coyotes, but hate to take a cat/fox with .223 60g HP's. How is the .22 mag for cat/fox? Plenty? I feel I should let the dogs alone if one shows up, but thought the .22mag should be more furfriendly. I know its a trade off, but you never know which is going to show up. Thanks. Greg

I really don't recommend the .22 mag for most predator hunters.

But, it's up to the task if the hunter/shooter is willing to accept it's limitations. Most aren't, so when that critter shows up "just out of range", they push their luck and can't resist trying a shot.

I think 100 yards is about as far as I'd shoot at a fox with a .22 mag, and I'd like them a lot closer than that (they aren't hard to call in close). About 75 would be tops for a bobcat, and maybe 50 yards for a coyote.

I've shot them at those ranges, and with good bullets and good bullet placement it seems to work well enough.

While I know that the .22 mag cartridge is capable of killing them at ranges longer than those, I don't believe it does it very reliably.

My "fox gun" is a .22 mag, but I'll take a bobcat or coyote if the right shot is presented. If not, I'll let 'em walk.

So if a person isn't willing to accept the limits of the cartridge, they should use something that gives them more range.

Daryl

I dont know about the fox,I've never shot one before.
Unless I had a bobcat within 50 yards of me I would'nt try to shoot one with a .22Mag.And I'd try to shoot it in the head even from that close.I know the .22Mag would probably knock one over from a little further than 50 yards but I would'nt be comfortable takin a shot any further than that.
If you know that you're gonna get a close shot at a fox or a bobcat I'd suggest a shotgun.I know for a fact that a shotgun will stop a bobcat in its tracks.

I have and do use the 22WMR for certian situations.
I will start by saying a 223 will work fine on Bobcats.
Any reasoable load with a good bullet like Sierra's 1365 Game King will do the job perfectly and will ony require minimal sewing for a perfect mount. On fox I have little to no expieriance but my 223 grey fox was NOT mountable.

The 22 mag is not a beginers gun but many times that is who ends up using it, the hunter just starting out with marginal expense decides he'll try predator hunting. The 22WMR is the rifle he has so he uses it, not always is the out come so good.

I have shot Coyotes and Bobcats with the 22WMR, in areas that are shotgun or rimfire only. I have tried both and for me the 22WMR is the better choice. Shot placement is the key and you must be committed to taking only perfect shots to get good results. I keep my shots under 75 yards which is usually no problem with Bobcats as many times they are under 50 yards before you even see them. If you keep the range short and wait for good presentation the 22WMR will do the job.

Your 223 should work fine for cats and will be a more reliable 1 shot killer. Just my .02
P.S. The target on the left is 8 at 50 yards and right is 8 at 100 yards.
5478120151_large.jpg

5478120147_large.jpg

5478120184_large.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:The 22 mag is not a beginers gun

I agree 100%, and I'd say the same for the .17 Remington. The .17 Remington has more range, but the bullet has to be placed just as well.

They're not for everyone, but in the hands of an experienced hunter/shooter, they're both effective and fur friendly.

Daryl

Originally Posted By: coyotewillieMy calling rifles are .223, a Browning Micro Hunter and an AR. We've got both fox and bobcat around, but I always seem to concentrate on coyotes. But, I've got some areas I'd like to get permission to try for fox once. And some places I call are good for cat, but always seem to get a coyote first. Anyway, I hate be undergunned for coyotes, but hate to take a cat/fox with .223 60g HP's. How is the .22 mag for cat/fox? Plenty? I feel I should let the dogs alone if one shows up, but thought the .22mag should be more furfriendly. I know its a trade off, but you never know which is going to show up. Thanks. Greg

Get yourself a good reloading manual and reload something like a 40gr. V-Max down to Hornet energies. That way you'd get more punch than any rimfire can possibly muster and less pelt damage than a .223. Definitely no need to buy another rifle. Do take a magic marker and mark off the downloads though. With some judicious reloading, you should be able to find the very best balance between terminal punch and pelt damage. --- Mike

I don't really have an opinion on the topic, as I've never used a 22mag for anything but target shooting, and I dont own one. I just wanted to say, BigMo....that is a sweet looking rifle..I want one. Volquartsen??

Yes...........Volquartsen

After several others and a strong desire for an auto this is what I ended up with. I have not regretted the purchase at all, it is a very nice and above all dependable rifle.

Back