Hornady match 75gr, BTHP...for deer ?

I took a nice 8 point with round also. He was standing broadside at about 75 yards and I double lunged him. He went about 70-80 yards and fell over. The only problem hunting deer with this small of a caliber is there was almost no blood trail. I watched the deer go down or I would have been looking for sometime. I also shot a 10 point last year with round, but he was 50 yards and I shot him in the neck. He dropped in his tracks.

I would look into some thing a bit tougher like the Barnes or the Nosler partitions. I shot a doe a few weeks back with the 70 grain barnes TSX it went in the ches, through everything and blew a nice whole out the other side the size of a fifty cent peice. Very nice blod trail to follow

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterI would look into some thing a bit tougher like the Barnes or the Nosler partitions. I shot a doe a few weeks back with the 70 grain barnes TSX it went in the ches, through everything and blew a nice whole out the other side the size of a fifty cent peice. Very nice blod trail to follow

thank's ! im gonna have to find some of those.
and load em up,

give it a try.

peabody

Killed a pretty good eight pointer with the Sierra 65 Game King last Saturday. Started out planning on shooting a doe for the meat but the buck stepped out so close I couldn't pass.
Neck shot at about 30 yards. He hit the ground and kicked a few times so I put another one into his neck to finish it quick even though he didn't take a step.
I would not have taken a 100 yard shot to the body with this bullet though.
I agree that a tougher bullet like the Nosler or Barnes is tougher and probably better.

thanks guys...
im going to haves my brother stop by cabelas, in sidney nebraska, buy a box or two of the barnes 70 grainers.

i've found the barns website, checked it out, seems like the barnes is the cats meow, for a .223 deer bullet.

again, thanks.

peabody

What is your barrel twist? The 70's may not stabilize in your gun if your are not 8 or tighter. Also, with a bullet like the barnes you can get away with a lighter weight. Try one of their 60 grain range bullet if your 9 twisted or the 53 gr if slower than that.

B

i have one carbine in 1:9 . the other two are 1:7

thats why i wanted longer, more heavy.

i guess ? im wanting to go as heavy as i can go.

but ? 70 grainers ''maybe'' will work in 1:9

wishes barnes made a 77 grain tsx

peabody

p.s. also will probly use my 20'' barrel, in 1:7, with the rock river lower.

so ? im thinkin the 70's will be purty good, for deer. just trying to find the ''best'' bullet for deer in a .223. all i've heard about barnes is rave reviews, but still wishes they made a 77 grainer.
grin.gif

peabody

Last edited:
Peabody,

I'm sure the 70 will be fine from a 20" 7 twist. The barnes run about 1.030" if my notes are correct. Closer in length to the 77-80 gr lead cores than the 68/69/70 gr lead cores. Also was not sure what barrel length you had. I cannot push the +1.020" bullets fast enough from my 16" 9 twist to make em fly right.

On another note I run the barnes in several other guns/calibers and love them. I also shoot the ones on the light end and have had nothing but great results. They are truly a performer. The 70 should be able to handle almost anything you throw at it.

B

Originally Posted By: 2GunnerPeabody,

Another thought might be the 75 grain Scirroco. Should buck wind good and hold up as good as any.

B

ten-4 on the Scirroco...

ok, i've been reading so much about the .223 deer bullets, my heads spinning,
from what i can gather, the bullet ''length'' in the .223 is whats you have to look at, to decide your rifle's best twist.

the barnes 70 and the Scirroco, 75, is about the same length, due to the barnes being a solid copper,

both, have very good reports, on all websites that i can find that relate to ''deer bullet for .223''

so' that being said, and the fact that all barrels, may shoot better or worse, in any given twist, it boils down to trying a few loads and see what your barrel/rifle likes.

but ? all of us knew that didnt we.?
smile.gif

it was hard to find a bullet that was sold , just for deer in the .223. without your help, i'ed still be scratching my head, thanks, for all the inputt.

you guys pointed me in the right direction.

now, i gotta gets out there and try a few of these loads out.

thanks

peabody

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peabodythanks guys...
im going to haves my brother stop by cabelas, in sidney nebraska, buy a box or two of the barnes 70 grainers.

Not sure about Sidney, but the Omaha store only ever has the 55gr TSX in stock.

Last edited:
09... Ok. I have seen bigger thread resurrections than this but, why are we answering a question that was asked 6 years ago?

Back