Leaving Dead Coyotes

Dirt Nap

I was wondering if anyone had info about stands being ruined for awhile if you left dead coyotes their. I have a stand close to my house that usually produces kills every other time I go their. Last time I was their, I shot a coyote and decided just to leave it because it was almost ripped in half and the amount of flies swarming the dog was amazing. Do you think the dogs will stay away from that area since one is sitting there rotting?

Interesting.

I've yet to see a coyote consumed by other coyotes. I skinned one a couple weeks ago and dumped the remains in an area with lots of other coyotes (private property), and it's still there.

Something ate the skunks I dropped there though.

I've seen buzzards pick at a coyote carcass though, so who knows?

Daryl

I think the Coyotes get consumed faster during pup season. Sometimes during that stage the Coyotes left are reduced to just scattered bone fragments. After that it takes longer for other animals to feed off of the carcass. At least thats how its been here on the little ranch Im on. 34 coyotes in a little over 2 years, and they still get eaten.

Quote:I think the Coyotes get consumed faster during pup season.

Could be. I don't hunt them during the summer, so I can't say one way or the other on that one.

The skunks sure disappear quick.

Daryl

I have not seen coyotes scavenging on dead coyote carcasses either. The buzzards eat them and maybe skunks and possums but I have never seen any evidence of other coyotes eating them. I think a dead coyote carcass is a sign of a verboden/danger zone to other coyotes. TnTnTn

I have never seen a dead coyote consumed by anything more than maggots.... AS far as if I think it spoils an area..No

I've seen coyote tracks around a carcass but nothing to indicate they eat dead coyotes. Buzzards and ravens chow down on them as well as golden eagles. I've seen that. I caught Javelina on a carcass.

As far as a carcass spoiling the area???

An emphatic NO!

In the old days it was thought that a carcass would keep other coyotes away. That is the reason you used to see them hanging on fences years ago.

When I find a carcass, I pay it no mind and start calling.

A carcass is indication that there are coyotes around. When the food source depletes, that's when the coyotes leave. Pressure can do this too, but is the food source is still there, the coyotes will retun a few days later to set up house. The good thing about educating coyotes is that the forget.

I've taken coyotes in areas where the ranchers were using coyote getters, so there were many ocassions where carcasses were scattered about and that never stopped a coyote coming to the call.

Last edited:
tt2.gif

Last edited:
I have never seen any signs of coyote-cannabalism here. The one thought that keeps coming to mind is that coyotes die of natural causes all the time. It would seen natural that they would not be shy of any area with a dead yote or two. After all they kill to live - do they associate death with danger? You tell me.

I've never actually SEEN coyote(s) eating a coyote. A few years ago I would have said that they don't. I've seen enough fresh evidence in the last couple of years to think that they will and do (sometimes). Still ain't never actually SEEN it though.

Lots of things go on at night out on those prairies under cover of darkness. Spooky.

As far as coyotes being scared by dead coyotes laying around.. Nope

One of my hunting properties has hogs and now and then one dies, if the farmer treated the hog with medicine the coyotes will not touch it, they will come and walk around it but its like they are guarding or something. The eagles ripped it open for them and still no interest. The farm next to it had a steer die that was treated and put in the compost, same thing.

mnblaster, same here with a couple of my neighbors. One raises hogs and the other beef. When they treat the livestock with medicine and still lose the animals the coyotes around here won't touch them either. Is kinda funny that the coyotes can tell though.

I hope that maybe one of the biologists will chime in. I have observed the carcasses of Coyotes, dismembered, the bones scattered, and even the skull dissapearing. My thoughts were that it was young pups learning to eat on their own. We have no other predators in our area, what could it be feeding on these Coyotes? Sometimes even the Buzzards dont eat them, but something is.. Cus I see the bones?

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnI have not seen coyotes scavenging on dead coyote carcasses either. The buzzards eat them and maybe skunks and possums but I have never seen any evidence of other coyotes eating them. I think a dead coyote carcass is a sign of a verboden/danger zone to other coyotes. TnTnTn

Ditto on that. Never seen it here either. However, last winter, I killed 3 coyotes from one stand, over a period of 5 or 6 weeks. They didn't seem to avoid that area.

I agree with Higgy,I killed a coyote one evening and threw the dead coyote in a thicket, the next morning in the same field on the opposite end I killed my first double, they approached from within 100 yds of the dead yote.
They don`t know if the coyote died from heart worms or lead.
rcm243

Never noticed any difference so far as far coyote number go if there is a dead one around or not. And they die all the time, either from other hunters, or natural causes, you would have too assume there are lots around that you don't know about.

I'm not sure exactly what eats them though. I once saw 3 golden eagles munching on a carcass, and once in a while magpies will start in on them. But for the most part nothing touches them, esp in the winter when the bugs are not out.

The coyote I shoot and skin today will still be there until spring in roughly whole condition.

Back