ever hear of ? hornady TAP, FPD ammo ?

peabody

so, went to the store,

just off hand, ask for deer ammo, for a .223.

he shows me a box of hornady 55 gr, TAP, FPD.[what do those letters mean ?]
he also say these are for killing peoples.? i haves no clue.

he only had two boxes.

i bought em, wow... 20 bucks a box !

wondering ? he say these be awfull good, deer bullets.

again...your opinions ?

peabody

Last edited:
Well he's right. It's designed/marketed to use on humans.

But I remember seeing a post on Arfcom where someone milled one of those bullets in half. I believe it was the same as the Hornady 75g Match BTHP. Except the TAP had a cannelure that the Match bullet didn't. Same powder too I believe. But TAP has a nickel case instead of brass(sometimes black coated). There's a 556 and 223 version.
TAP FPD stands for Tactical Applications for Police, and For Personal Defense.

I haven't used it on deer. But I think it would probably be one of the better choices. It's should penetrate pretty well.

Dont try the 55 grain on deer they do not penetrate very well. If you look up ballistic data you will find that they do not penetrate very deep and they break up rapidly. In fact they arent working on people very well either they are getting about six inches of penetration.

On one of my coyote dvds a guy was using them because he'd heard they were fur friendly. While they were fur friendly, the stopping power just wasn't there and most required (after the first shot) one or two more to put the dog down for good. As you know a coyote is thinner skinned than a deer so there are better choices IMO. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterDont try the 55 grain on deer they do not penetrate very well. If you look up ballistic data you will find that they do not penetrate very deep and they break up rapidly. In fact they arent working on people very well either they are getting about six inches of penetration.

hummm...thank's.. im getting some barnes 70 tsx. . reload a few of those up,
for now, i;ll use the 75 HPBT's [ its all i have ]
thanks

peabody

Last edited:
TAP isn't designed to penetrate. It's designed to punch a skull and not exit, pretty darn frangible. It's 'tactical', intended to minimize the risk of injuring a bystander or punching through a wall.

I've got boxes of the stuff left from when I left LE. It would probably be a good coyote bullet, I wouldn't use it for deer.

Back